Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple Gound Leads

I picked up a large all steel welding table that will be my primary shop work surface for stick, HF TIG and MIG. Should I ground the table? Can I leave the ground leads to my welders attached to my work table while using other machines--in particular the HF TIG?

Not quite sure of what you are asking?? You kinda have two questions mixed into one.
    Are you asking about all the work (ground) clamps remaining attached to the table when using the other machines or are you asking about grounding because of HF interference/transmission??? Or are you asking about both??
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

I am asking about both. Should the table be grounded (to an earth ground, not a system ground) and can I leave one machine's work cable attached to the table while using another machine on the same table. I don't want to damage the electronics in my mig and inverter tig/stick machines. I have earth grounded my steel shop building skin for HF in prep for a higher output tig.

You can have all the ground leads hooked up to the tableand weld with all the machines without any problem.

Gounding the table to earth will help eliminate HF interference with electrical appliances in the shop and office, If I remember right, Cruizer said something about wraping tyveck around the torch lead, You will need to verify that one however.

Default Grounding

What he said. Attached is a picture of my table. I have concurrently grounded the Passport Plus, Plasma Xtreme 375 and Maxstar 150 (not seen) without any problem. Note also that the table is mounted on rubber casters.

By the way, I got the idea for a table made from channel from this site a few years ago. It's a great improvement over a solid plate table because it is not easily affected by warping, and if one piece does warp (as has happened), it's just a matter of replacing that one piece. Also, it allows for clamping anywhere on the table and allows me to cut plate or sheet on the table itself.Welding table 2.jpgWelding table.jpgWelding table 3.jpg

I'll be looking for some channel now. Seems I remember a post about it but had forgot. I like that table.

Sorry for the hijack

Thanks for the input. Mike, that's an interesting setup. Do you use the gas bottles while they are horizontal? I am under the impression they have to be vertical (top side up).

Default Multiple Gound Leads

It wasn't tyvek it was zip tying the first 5 or 6 feet of the work leads together off of the machine

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    What he said. Attached is a picture of my table. I have concurrently grounded the Passport Plus, Plasma Xtreme 375 and Maxstar 150 (not seen) without any problem. Note also that the table is mounted on rubber casters.

By the way, I got the idea for a table made from channel from this site a few years ago. It's a great improvement over a solid plate table because it is not easily affected by warping, and if one piece does warp (as has happened), it's just a matter of replacing that one piece. Also, it allows for clamping anywhere on the table and allows me to cut plate or sheet on the table itself.Welding table 2.jpgWelding table.jpgWelding table 3.jpg
    Table is a neat idea,but the bottle set up looks a little scary,dont you worry about the regulators getting snapped,looks like a co2 and an argon/mix maybe they are not as exposed as they seem.Diffently utilizing the space well.

Default Ground it

Interesting to research something. Sometimes you find out that you are wrong. I had thought that it was a good thing that the secondary of the welder was isolated from ground.

However, according to these articles, the worktable should be connected to earth ground. They reference an ANSI standard.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...d-maintenance/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ty-detail.aspx

I would note that the Miller article says that cylinders should be upright, not on their side

Richard