Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first welder

Default my first welder

I searched the forums and it seems that mostly everyone has bigger pockets a d projects than me.

I'm in welding school and think that I can make a few extra bucks doing simple repairs I.e. mower decks and trailers.

so my question is this, is there a decent buzzbox out there for 1/8 maybe quarter that has a decent duty cycle? link whatever I'll check it out and make a decision based on budget.

thanks y'all

ps I think I only have access to 110 but will have 220 and I like the idea of stick welding

Maxstar line, or mm211 sounds like what fits your bill. Welding on trailers isn't something you should even consider with 110v. In fact, you even asking this question is making me think you are not qualified to weld on anything where safety is a concern. Not trying to come off like a ****, just don't want you to get in over your head and get yourself or anybody else hurt or killed. Make sure to do your research and I'm sure you will find a blue machine that will work great for you!

Oh and just out of curiosity, does the fd in your name have any particular meaning? Rx7 by chance?
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-15-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFD View Post
    I searched the forums and it seems that mostly everyone has bigger pockets a d projects than me.

I'm in welding school and think that I can make a few extra bucks doing simple repairs I.e. mower decks and trailers.

so my question is this, is there a decent buzzbox out there for 1/8 maybe quarter that has a decent duty cycle? link whatever I'll check it out and make a decision based on budget.

thanks y'all

ps I think I only have access to 110 but will have 220 and I like the idea of stick welding
    The Hobart 305 is an AC only stick welder. It is rated at 205 amps, and would do the job until you decided you needed something larger.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...tickmate205ac/

Default my first welder

my welding class I have every welder outside of laser at my fingertips, it's where I got the idea so being on 110 has never really been a concern until now
    but thank you for the honesty cause that isn't something that's in black and white some where.

and thanks for the link ill check it out

:: like I said this is my first welder so anything I need to know for light duty home use feel free to lay it on me I'm a framer and handyman by trade welding is just my new stepping stone.
    Last edited by RobertFD; 04-16-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Default my first welder

sorry missed you question and know it is my middle and last initial

Most any AC stick welder will fit your needs. Check out the used market from the main manufacturers and you should be able to pick one up for $75-$150. Not much to go wrong with old transformer technology, so if it works when you are looking at it, it should work when you get it home and get around to giving it to your grandkids. Personally, I'd spend the extra bucks and buy an AC/DC model that will fill your needs throughout your welding career...maybe twice the price.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Default my first welder

I've been told the Lincoln buzzbox is the business, about 400 and any in that price range seem to have a really short duty cycle

try looking fro an used miller thunderbolt or lincoln tombstone. You can always plug a 220 machine in where your dryer or hot water heater is plugged into. You can also run them off of a regular generator that has a 220 plug on. The machines can be found for about 200 bucks used.

For your Auto Repairs/Restoration/Customization jobs a mig would be best. Put a sign up in the grocery and auto stores for a welding machine with the money you want to spend, never know what might come your way. Machines are laying around all over the place not being used.

why do I look for in a used welder to make sure it is a good working welder?

and I don't really want to worry about pretty work just yet
    Last edited by RobertFD; 04-18-2013 at 09:00 AM.