Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Mganetic clamps vs old style copper clamps what is your preference?

I was thinking of upgraded my stock clamp from my MM 211 and was looking at the old style copper clamps or the Powerbase grounding magnet from "Strong hand." Any suggestions or preference?

Thanks!

Updated 4.16.13: I want to thank everybody for their opinion. It has been extremely valuable. and I have without a doubt taken note of suggestions, experience and the links! I decided on both with quick disconnects. walker, I have taken note of your experience as well and would most likely use the mag clamp for exhaust work.

You guys are great and I really appreciate you all taking time to give me your input!
    Last edited by Heavychevy; 04-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.

I had a magnetic lamp years ago and threw it away. I like the Tweco style clamp.
    http://victortechnologies.com/tweco/...rodID=92051120

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    I had a magnetic lamp years ago and threw it away. I like the Tweco style clamp.
    http://victortechnologies.com/tweco/...rodID=92051120
    Agreed I changed both my 211 and Syncro 200 over to these. They work well.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

I bought two Twecos for my smaller machines but the Croc Jaws look good too.

The 251 is going to get one and the 180 SD later on.

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...Path=1360_1362

My magnetic ground clamp left a huge dent in my shop door. This happened after beat it off the end of the cable and threw it as hard as I could. In my anger and frustration I missed the door opening slightly. Why you may be asking? This was because it left a huge arc burn on a nearly finished project that then had to be cut out and re-done.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I bought two Twecos for my smaller machines but the Croc Jaws look good too.

The 251 is going to get one and the 180 SD later on.

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...Path=1360_1362
    These are the Lenco version of the Tweco.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy View Post
    I was thinking of upgraded my stock clamp from my MM 211 and was looking at the old style copper clamps or the Powerbase grounding magnet from "Strong hand." Any suggestions or preference?

Thanks!
    It would depend on the situation. I know for me, some things that I am welding on, I can't just hook a clamp on it and weld. It requires the magnet because of the odd shape or the size of it. I would say it is nice to have both just in case. But let me say this, if you do get the magnet, got the 600 amp magnet. The smaller ones sometimes dont have the holding power and will fall off or give you the arc burn on your weldment for lack of sufficient holding power and when it falls off it will cause the arc burn.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

I stripped the insulation off of about three feet of lead, taped up the ends and wrap it around those unusual shapes then clamp on the ground.

This came from welding tips and tricks and works great. I know it wouldn't work on everything but it is nice to have around.

Default Mag vs Clamp

I have mine set up for both I have a dinse connector and can change if need be. I think part of some peoples lack of a good experience with a magnet is they don't think the attachment point needs to be clean, they think well if it sticks its good.