Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need some help with MM 175

I have a millermatic 175. The drive motor is very slow and does not have any torque. I have check the resistance on the wire speed knob, that seems to work fine. With the drive motor unhooked from the two wire connector I am getting 24 volts when I turn the wire speed knob all the way up and I think it was around 7 all the way down, at that connector. If i plug the motor back in and check the voltage at the motor I only get around 6 volts no matter where I set the wire speed. With the motor out and hooked to a 19.8 volt battery the motor spins as fast as I think it should. I don't have a lot off money to play with so I wanted to see if I could trouble shoot this my self before it goes to a shop.. Thanks for any input

Try to disconnect the drive roll and test the machine without feeding any wire. If it seems to drive correctly I would suspect a worn liner or tip or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Try to disconnect the drive roll and test the machine without feeding any wire. If it seems to drive correctly I would suspect a worn liner or tip or both.
    It doesn't have any wire in it. With the wire speed turned all the way up the motor is only spinning like its on a 2 or 3 setting for wire speed, and me just barely applying pressure with my finger with stop the motor. I was just about to buy a new drive motor when I hooked it up to a 19 volt battery and saw it spin a lot faster. I am no electrician by any means but if the motor will spin fast on a 19 volt battery, that does mean the motor is fine correct? I had read some where that the motor should have 2 ohms or less of resistance does this sound correct

I would contact Miller Customer Service.

If you give Miller Customer Service a call (920-954-3499) they can walk through the issue with you and help find a solution. Thanks!