Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Construction adhesive will not work for this application. It is not intended for concrete anchoring. The only adhesive product designed for this is the specialized epoxy.

Last week I pulled out half a houses foundation anchors that some jack wagon thought he could use gorilla glue. He must have thought when the bottle said "strongest glue on earth," you can use it for anything. Gotta love non professionals making engineering calls from their hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Construction adhesive will not work for this application. It is not intended for concrete anchoring. The only adhesive product designed for this is the specialized epoxy.

Last week I pulled out half a houses foundation anchors that some jack wagon thought he could use gorilla glue. He must have thought when the bottle said "strongest glue on earth," you can use it for anything. Gotta love non professionals making engineering calls from their hip.
    Here's what I got, the tables legs on the vice side have 3/8 plates welded to them that go down into the expansion joint about 2". I used the expansion joint to keep from having to drill into the floor. The plates work great for doing twisting vise work but now with the crane on the corner of the table when holding a load causes the other side to lift up off the floor.

Last edited by tackit; 04-15-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Good lesson here. I called Red Head and talked to guy named Tony about what I wanted to do and he told me that they don't make a product for my application because my floor is not thick enough. So if any of you or a friend have plans to build a shop in the future give some thought to the thickness of the floor.

Maybe you could make some removeable stabilizers that attach to the legs and extend out in all directions to the reach of the lift or build a box below your shelf and fill it with enough sand or concrete to counter-balance the lift.
    Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Maybe you could make some removeable stabilizers that attach to the legs and extend out in all directions to the reach of the lift or build a box below your shelf and fill it with enough sand or concrete to counter-balance the lift.
    Meltedmetal
    I like your ballast box idea Meltedmetal, seems like a reasonable approach to solving this problem. Maybe using a combination of wedges, the plates and a ballast box could give a safe lift. The table comes up about three inches off the floor with the generator hanging on the crane.

Before I read your idea I was thinking about welding a hitch receiver to the bottom of the leg opposite the crane and build a slip in 1/2" plate I could park my tractors bucket filled with dirt on.

Come to think of it I could do the same thing by building a wheeled dolly for a 30 gallon drum filled with concrete. Just weld a 2" receiver on the tables leg opposite the crane and put the tongue through the drum, add concrete, and when I need it roll it over to the table and slip it into the receiver and pin it. Now I got to figure out how much a 30 gallon drum filled with concrete weighs.

Thanks for the idea MM.

Cgotto6, I agree with you, wedge anchors will work.

Tackit, Basically all wedge anchors are about the same so whoever you talk to didd'nt have a clue about that they were talking about.

A Hilti wedge anchor in 4000psi concrete with a drilled hole at least 2.75" deep using a 5/8" x 3.75 wedge anchor has a pull out strength of 1860 lbs.

Go to Hilti and punch in item # 00282572 that will be a number for ordering a box of anchors.

So if you put one anchor in the 4 outside legs you will be good up to 7,440 lbs.

Keep in mind that was a minimum drilled hole specification, the further you drill the more it will increase your pull out power.

Trust me when I say your over thinking this job.

I use Hilti epoxy all the time which is no doubt better than a wedge anchor in a pull out application but I usually only use it when I have to bolt machined down that vibrate or when a engineer specs it.

I have also used them and others over the years with no problems to speak of,I do use the Hex headed thread style now that 3/8" dia. and larger I use an electric impact on after I predrill the hole.I like them for the reason if you need to remove your item thier is no stud sticking out to trip on and they just look cleaner.Getting ready to set a 15' cross on the side of a church with them in about two hours.I agree that the two part expoxy woul be pricey for this But cracked concrete is sucky.Good Luck

Thanks for the input from all of you, it's much appreciated. I don't care about the cost of the epoxy, it's still a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the Emergency Room. I'll do some thinking on it. Naturally I want to go with the safest but also the easiest solution. thanks again guys.

So far it sounds like epoxy holds the best, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wen Valley View Post
    I wouldn't mind a redhead in my shop, not sure what the wife would think though...
    It would probably depend on how fat HE is.

The spokesperson at red head is just covering their *ss. They will be plenty sufficient in this application. The epoxy would be like using a semi truck to haul a couple 2x4's. wedge anchors as i have already said are incredibly strong, even pull out. You could even use 1/4" ones probably and never have a problem. 4 @ 5/8 is so overkill it's a joke. And your going into seasoned Crete, which is better for this type of anchor.

I have had to bed wedge anchors only 2 1/2" due to hydronic heating lines being cast into a slab, and when bolting down the mud sills with my 18" wrench I can practically sink a 1 1/2" diameter washer through a 2x6 if I wanted to do so. They just keep on crushing the more I torque them. I have never pulled an anchor out no matter the size or torque applied.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-15-2013 at 12:37 PM.