Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Tackit, When Cgottosaid said oversized hole in a earlier post I'm pretty sure what he meant was to make sure the hole in the steel plate was at least a 1/6" bigger than the hole that you drill into the concrete, Otherwise the anchor itself will get caught on the steel plate.

The anchors are a tad bigger than the hole you drill in the concrete.

Like S Berry said, Do not pilot drill and use a 1/2" bit for a 1/2" anchor.

Cgotto6, I have never heard of a ROTO Hammer, Here in the big city we call them a Hammer Drill.
    Everything you just said us correct. Thanks for clarifying. Over size the flange hole so the drill bit and anchor both freely pass through. If you do you risk cracking the carbide tip. I have heard them called a hammer drill also, but around here roto hammer is the common name. I wonder if the first one made was branded or named roto hammer? Or us Washingtonians are just nuts haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Everything you just said us correct. Thanks for clarifying. Over size the flange hole so the drill bit and anchor both freely pass through. If you do you risk cracking the carbide tip. I have heard them called a hammer drill also, but around here roto hammer is the common name. I wonder if the first one made was branded or named roto hammer? Or us Washingtonians are just nuts haha.
    Thanks Portable Welder for pointing that out, the way I read Cgoto6's comment I was going to drill a 9/16 hole in the concrete, you saved me from causing what could have been a disaster. Thanks to you Cgoto6, Cary and the rest of you good people. I understand completely now what guys are saying. I'm glad I asked, it proves there is no such thing as a dumb question.

The son called me back last night and said he has both a hammer drill and a Roto Hammer with the SDS bits. He's going to bring them to me when he gets a chance. I still have to find the red heads, might have to order them since we are a small farming community with only one hardware and one lumber yard. Ordering takes about a week if they can get what I need. When I'm done I'll post pictures with a load on the crane.

Here is a Popular Mechanics review on both kinds of drills.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ete-comparison

Cgoto6 because you are in Washington are you using Seismic Trubolts? I want to buy the exact kind you use because of the good experience you have with them.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.

I just use regular old red heads. Nothing more than their standard.

Tackit, Chances are your hard ware should have what you need ask for a wedge anchor, Red head, Trubolt, hilti and several others make them.

They might also try to sell you a sleeve anchor which looks alot alike and does about the same job.

Either one would work for your application.

Thanks guys. I always tend to make things more difficult when I'm not comfortable with my knowledge on something or I have little or no experience doing something for the first time.

If I was drilling in wood or even deep in steel I wouldn't be so anxious.

Here's some pics of the different thru bolts. I'm going with SS since the floor is always damp during the winter months and I like to wash the floor with a hose from time to time.

Last edited by tackit; 04-16-2013 at 11:55 AM.

I ordered 4 SS Red Head #SWW 1226 1/2 X 2 3/4 long bolts from Fastenall. Lucky they had a broken open package, a bit more than $4 a piece + SH and they're going to send them to the house. The cost of gas to go get em would cost me that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    TxDarth is that a frustrated mechanic hanging from your ceiling in the 1st pic?-Meltedmetal
    Nah....I just connected with that ad campaign from Casterol "thinking with your dipstick" - thought it made sense.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I ordered 4 SS Red Head #SWW 1226 1/2 X 2 3/4 long bolts from Fastenall. Lucky they had a broken open package, a bit more than $4 a piece + SH and they're going to send them to the house. The cost of gas to go get em would cost me that.
    Glad you got it figured out. If this is your first experience with wedge anchors you will be pleasantly surprised how easy and well they work.