Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone gotten cracks in their shops concrete floor from using red heads

Anyone gotten cracks in their shops concrete floor from using red heads to hold their welding table down. I'm afraid to drill holes in my 10 year old floating 4" floor for fear of bringing on cracks.

It's only cracked down the sawed crack joints so far.

Mine is on wheels, so no problem. Red head don't really cause cracks unles they are very close the the edge of the concrete. If you are worried about it just use some all thread and concrete epoxy

I have set thousands of wedge anchors, you should have no problems. I use them on slab on grade applications, foundations, retaining walls, etc. Everything anchored in my shop is with wedge anchors. What do you mean by floating floor?

Epoxy is crazy expensive and I only use it if it is an engineered spec. Wedge anchors are cheap as dirt and fast.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-14-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Mine is on wheels, so no problem. Red head don't really cause cracks unles they are very close the the edge of the concrete. If you are worried about it just use some all thread and concrete epoxy
    Thanks Walker, I'll look into the concrete epoxy, if I have to drill holes in the floor at least there won't be any radial forces generated from fasteners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I have set hundreds of wedge anchors, you should have no problems. What do you mean by floating floor?
    Cgutto6 the pad was poured over 6" of compacted 3/4 stone and fines, it moves up and down when the ground freezes.

Interesting, been building houses forever and that's a new one for me. I'm from Washington state and have never encountered that. With that said I would still just use wedge anchors and be done with it. No need to buy the epoxy dispenser ($50 for a crap Simpson one, close to a bill for a good one), and a tube of epoxy ($30+) for four hold downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Interesting, been building houses forever and that's a new one for me. I'm from Washington state and have never encountered that. With that said I would still just use wedge anchors and be done with it. No need to buy the epoxy dispenser ($50 for a crap Simpson one, close to a bill for a good one), and a tube of epoxy ($30+) for four hold downs.
    Could you recommend a size and length for such a job? I put one of those pickup truck cranes on the table so it needs to be fastened down pretty good. 500 lbs max would do it. Thanks
    Last edited by tackit; 04-14-2013 at 10:22 PM.

1/2 or 5/8 if you really want it held. Bed it 3 1/2" into the Crete.

Default Anyone gotten cracks in their shops concrete floor from using red heads

Rather than epoxy try pl premium construction adhesive works great I mounted a handrail into armour stone with that and all thread. Solid as you'll ever want for a table

I wouldn't mind a redhead in my shop, not sure what the wife would think though...