Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Commpressed gas tanks

Is it possible to buy used/expired gas cylinders?? I would love to build a giant windchime.

Frank aka The Weekend Welder

Cool

Yup. Check with your local welding supplier or call some scrap yards. I have bought some off of the scrap man. Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

weekend welder,

If you visit a local welding distributor and they may be a bit reluctant to let you have one or more, you could offer to bring a big hammer and cold chisel or a grinder and destroy the threads so it can't be used again.
    This assumes they have already removed the valve.

I have 2 scrap 277 cu ft cylinders which were used for oxygen.

Both have no valves and one has the bottom 3" cut off so it may be useful for your project.

I was planning to make a big gong just like you but got distracted so I would be happy to give them to you.

PM me if you want them - FOBO - "free or best offer"

I am about 15 miles west of center city Philadelphia.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands:305851
    weekend welder,

If you visit a local welding distributor and they may be a bit reluctant to let you have one or more, you could offer to bring a big hammer and cold chisel or a grinder and destroy the threads so it can't be used again.
    This assumes they have already removed the valve.

I have 2 scrap 277 cu ft cylinders which were used for oxygen.

Both have no valves and one has the bottom 3" cut off so it may be useful for your project.

I was planning to make a big gong just like you but got distracted so I would be happy to give them to you.

PM me if you want them - FOBO - "free or best offer"

I am about 15 miles west of center city Philadelphia.
    I also have a couple of those size oxygen cylinders, they make really nice sandblaster tanks

Note that acetylene tanks are filled with stuff in which the acetylene is dissolved.. Stick with oxygen and shielding gas tanks

If you can't find one cheap and fast, just buy a piece of pipe and and a weld on end cap. Weld, grind flush and you are in business.