Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Put a 50 amp circuit in with wire sized to code ( I think it is 8ga to the receptacle) and the get a extension cord made out of 8/3 SOOW cord. I bought a 50' extension cord with 6-50 ends, the same as standard 230v ends that miller welders come with, for $130 to my door. Some of my machines have long cords and some do not, the extension works great. I use it all,most every day.

Get 2 bottles of gas like mmw said. Tig is fun. I learned to gas weld first and it made learning a lot easier. Enjoy your new machine!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Use argon for tig (steel, stainless & aluminum) & 75/25 for mig. Do not use 75/25 for any tig work!
    100% Argon is, also, used for aluminum mig. There will be times you will probably want to mig aluminum, since it is faster than tig.

so your saying 100% argon for any TIG??? but 75/25 for MIG? ive never TIG welded but want to learn but its gonna be trial and error on my own.... if I TIG always use 100% argon? im looking at getting a 125 cuft bottle of 75/25.... and a 100% ARGON.... IF I tig AT ALL IT HAS TO BE ARGON?

Quote Originally Posted by HDRider281 View Post
    so your saying 100% argon for any TIG??? but 75/25 for MIG? IF I tig AT ALL IT HAS TO BE ARGON?
    No Co2 for tig.

Argon for alum mig, but not for steel tig.

Argon for tig, but helium can be used or even mixed with Argon.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    No Co2 for tig.

Argon for alum mig, but not for steel tig.

Argon for tig, but helium can be used or even mixed with Argon.
    Hey, Shovelon,

I just know you meant to type "steel mig", not "steel tig".

Your sentence should read, "Argon for alum mig, but not for steel mig." (Right?)

Cheers!

100 percent ARGON is what you want for most TIG, especially aluminum. When I am doing anything in stainless that I don't want to sugar up on the back side, I also use argon for both the sides. That produces a good looking, strong weld on BOTH sides of (especially thin) stuff like exhaust headers/pipes where you want minimum interference with the gas flow inside the tubing and anywhere you want to minimize the possibility of cracking. It is pretty easy to make/use a rig to evacuate the pipe or other kinds of pieces to keep the ambient atmosphere away from the weld during the (pretty short) time required to get a good weld on both sides.

PS...I have used welding equipment (actually the same machine) on both 110 and 230 volts and I would say that any of them seem to weld better and are just "happier" on the 230 (208, 230, 240...whatever you have available). If it were me putting in a line specifically to support a welding machine, I would put in the 230 if I had ANY choice vs. the 110. Also, I would put in a MINIMUM of a 50 amp breaker, because if you do any amount of TIG welding on thicker aluminum, it will amaze you how much current it takes! If I go to do like 1/4 or 3/8 inch on a larger area piece of aluminum with my TIG machine and forget to move it from the 30 Amp to the 50 Amp line (breaker and conductor size limited) I will pretty much always blow the 30 amp breaker, but if it is on the 50 amp line, I have yet to blow that.....
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.