Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding outside recommended parameters

What type of weld quality issues will I see if I weld outside the ranges in the manual or the on the door of my Millermatic. Specifically, 'I'm looking for what problems I can expect when trying to weld 24 ga. sheet with 0.024 solid wire and CO2 shielding?

Cool

Try some different welds on different sized steels thats how you learn. 024/co2on sheet metal might work well for some people and not others....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

If you're worried about the wind, just put up a blind. It should work well for you !

.........Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I weld in my driveway all the time with .030/c25. As long as there isn't a big gust of wind there is no issue. You can just run a little more gas flow if you are having trouble in mild wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I weld in my driveway all the time with .030/c25. As long as there isn't a big gust of wind there is no issue. You can just run a little more gas flow if you are having trouble in mild wind.
    He isn't welding outside😊

He is welding outside the recommended parameters on the chart supplied with the machine😜
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

two things can happen, one , it will run like crap, and two, it will be from ok to good, those door charts are starting points. some thing that i never hear on this forum is the need to change settings due to temperature, time of day, ect, in some locations, the juice from the pole will vary, on hot days, it can be low, air conditioners are running ever where, so the wire speed may need to be lowered, or on nights and weekends when there is little industrial use, the line voltage may be higher, causing you to raise your wire speed

For me those settings are always on the hot side. But I have only used about 6lbs of wire with it or any Mig.

So I set for the wire size (211) and usually decrease on the thickness scale. That may be wrong but its worked ok thus far.

In most cases I run it hot even still just turning back if I can't keep up with the puddle or burn thru is looking likely.

My first Mig experience was nice, had that nice sound going on thin stuff. Starting at about 3/8 I can't seem to find that sound as much. Everything is short runs I'm not getting any better like that.

I would like to do more like Bob said. Try a bunch of different things and learn more.

Its hard to waste for practice but its necessary. Done a personal project last night. It should have been perfect for Mig but I had only one shot so I got out the Tig. Another no learner.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    He isn't welding outside

He is welding outside the recommended parameters on the chart supplied with the machine
    Oops, you are right. Should have read it more carefully.