Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoker Build

Default Smoker Build

I had a guy come to me to build a heavy duty reverse flow smoker. I figured I should put a build thread together. Should have it finished Sunday or Monday. I had been thinking about building myself one so it was good timing. I picked up a 42" piece of pipe for my personal smoker and I haven't had a chance to build it yet.

Build specs:
    2'x3' Schd 20 pipe. 3/8" end caps and firebox. 5/16" round stock for the food grate and 2 levels of cooking space.

Lessons learned so far:
    -He wanted to supply most of the odds and ends and brought me a 3' length of FBE pipe. DO NOT start with this. It is a huge pain to remove the epoxy coat. Took me several hours to do so. It was still cheaper for the customer rather than buying clean pipe, but that was his call.

-I ended up using some laser cut 1/4" hinge tabs that pull the lid away from the cook chamber as you lift it. This is a nice feature over using barrel hinges. I would definitely use these again. They have a 3/8" hole for a bolt but I am going to use a piece of hot rolled round as a "hinge pin" instead, mostly for personal preference.

-I CNC plasma cut the end caps and firebox pieces and this was well worth it. Faster than hand cutting and easier to piece together. Also, for the firebox I designed it so that each corner was a v-groove type deal and the welds have full penetration in one pass. It also gives the corner a 45* angle and I think it looks nice.

Ok, enough words, on to pictures.

2013-03-05 13.27.24.jpg2013-03-06 12.24.50.jpg2013-03-06 12.25.09.jpg2013-03-06 14.49.52.jpg2013-04-13 09.37.51.jpg
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

2013-04-13 10.20.39.jpg

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow evening.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Its pictures like these that makes a wanna be like me wonder “WTF is the use of trying to get into this hobby”. You have some fantastic talent! I love seeing what the pros can do .

WS

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
    Its pictures like these that makes a wanna be like me wonder “WTF is the use of trying to get into this hobby”. You have some fantastic talent! I love seeing what the pros can do .

WS
    Whopper the only way you are ever going to be like these craftsman is buy doing it . the more stuff you do the more you will learn . don't be intimidated by this stuff there is a wealth of information on these sites and there are allot of guys willing to help .welding and fabrication is just like any other trade some guys are better than others and some guys are just gifted and some guys just don't give a s**t .this Elvis guy he's got it figured out . by the way Elvis awesome fab work keep the pics coming . Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post

WS
    Whopper,

Everyone on this board started somewhere. It just takes practice. It is true that some people are talented at it and some people have to work their a$$ off to get good. It just boils down to how much you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by ctinberg View Post
    Whopper the only way you are ever going to be like these craftsman is buy doing it . the more stuff you do the more you will learn . don't be intimidated by this stuff there is a wealth of information on these sites and there are allot of guys willing to help .welding and fabrication is just like any other trade some guys are better than others and some guys are just gifted and some guys just don't give a s**t .this Elvis guy he's got it figured out . by the way Elvis awesome fab work keep the pics coming . Chris
    Thanks for the kind words.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

These are the only pictures from today. Got the firebox fully welded on and the baffle stitched into place with the drain pipe. I spent most of the day installing frame stiffeners on a unibody jeep.

Tomorrow will be legs and smokestack and that should pretty much wrap it up. This thing is getting extremely heavy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Thumbs up

Looking nice Elvis. What made you decide to put the fire box under instead of beside the grill? It is a neat look I have never seen before. I wonder if it is more effective at heating since the fire box will be directly under the grill instead of just the heat from the smoke beside it.

I'm curious how you plan to empty the ashes from the fire box. It looks like the door has a lip all the way around, and from pictures it looks like that is the only door. So would a shop vac be used since you couldn't sweep them out over that lip? The one I made long ago had a door at the bottom part of the box to sweep out the coals.

Keep up the pictures coming.

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    Looking nice Elvis. What made you decide to put the fire box under instead of beside the grill? It is a neat look I have never seen before. I wonder if it is more effective at heating since the fire box will be directly under the grill instead of just the heat from the smoke beside it.

I'm curious how you plan to empty the ashes from the fire box. It looks like the door has a lip all the way around, and from pictures it looks like that is the only door. So would a shop vac be used since you couldn't sweep them out over that lip? The one I made long ago had a door at the bottom part of the box to sweep out the coals.

It is what the customer wanted. It seems to make sense. I do admit that I did not account for the ash removal. That was not a critical issue when he described what he wanted. Probably a shop vac.

Anyway, on to the updated pictures. Made a little progress today. Tomorrow it will get wheels and some door trim. Perhaps a smoke stack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post

I'm not a smoker of either description so excuse my ignorance please. I do burn wood though and one of my stoves has the firing/cleanout door about 12 inches above the floor of the firebox. I made myself a small shovel and just push the ashes to the back of the firebox and shovel them out and into my ash bucket. It works well. I assume you burn your fuel directly on the floor of the firebox and not on a grate? Nice construction by the way.
    Meltedmetal

Is there going to be a shelf under the door for the cooker to set stuff on that's going in to or out of the cooker. If not, it might be worth thinking about. It could be made removable for when it's not needed.