Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoker Build

Hybrid View

Default Smoker Build

I had a guy come to me to build a heavy duty reverse flow smoker. I figured I should put a build thread together. Should have it finished Sunday or Monday. I had been thinking about building myself one so it was good timing. I picked up a 42" piece of pipe for my personal smoker and I haven't had a chance to build it yet.

Build specs:
    2'x3' Schd 20 pipe. 3/8" end caps and firebox. 5/16" round stock for the food grate and 2 levels of cooking space.

Lessons learned so far:
    -He wanted to supply most of the odds and ends and brought me a 3' length of FBE pipe. DO NOT start with this. It is a huge pain to remove the epoxy coat. Took me several hours to do so. It was still cheaper for the customer rather than buying clean pipe, but that was his call.

-I ended up using some laser cut 1/4" hinge tabs that pull the lid away from the cook chamber as you lift it. This is a nice feature over using barrel hinges. I would definitely use these again. They have a 3/8" hole for a bolt but I am going to use a piece of hot rolled round as a "hinge pin" instead, mostly for personal preference.

-I CNC plasma cut the end caps and firebox pieces and this was well worth it. Faster than hand cutting and easier to piece together. Also, for the firebox I designed it so that each corner was a v-groove type deal and the welds have full penetration in one pass. It also gives the corner a 45* angle and I think it looks nice.

Ok, enough words, on to pictures.

2013-03-05 13.27.24.jpg2013-03-06 12.24.50.jpg2013-03-06 12.25.09.jpg2013-03-06 14.49.52.jpg2013-04-13 09.37.51.jpg
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

2013-04-13 10.20.39.jpg

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow evening.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Its pictures like these that makes a wanna be like me wonder “WTF is the use of trying to get into this hobby”. You have some fantastic talent! I love seeing what the pros can do .

WS

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
    Its pictures like these that makes a wanna be like me wonder “WTF is the use of trying to get into this hobby”. You have some fantastic talent! I love seeing what the pros can do .

WS
    Whopper the only way you are ever going to be like these craftsman is buy doing it . the more stuff you do the more you will learn . don't be intimidated by this stuff there is a wealth of information on these sites and there are allot of guys willing to help .welding and fabrication is just like any other trade some guys are better than others and some guys are just gifted and some guys just don't give a s**t .this Elvis guy he's got it figured out . by the way Elvis awesome fab work keep the pics coming . Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post

WS
    Whopper,

Everyone on this board started somewhere. It just takes practice. It is true that some people are talented at it and some people have to work their a$$ off to get good. It just boils down to how much you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by ctinberg View Post
    Whopper the only way you are ever going to be like these craftsman is buy doing it . the more stuff you do the more you will learn . don't be intimidated by this stuff there is a wealth of information on these sites and there are allot of guys willing to help .welding and fabrication is just like any other trade some guys are better than others and some guys are just gifted and some guys just don't give a s**t .this Elvis guy he's got it figured out . by the way Elvis awesome fab work keep the pics coming . Chris
    Thanks for the kind words.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

These are the only pictures from today. Got the firebox fully welded on and the baffle stitched into place with the drain pipe. I spent most of the day installing frame stiffeners on a unibody jeep.

Tomorrow will be legs and smokestack and that should pretty much wrap it up. This thing is getting extremely heavy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Melted-

The plan is to try it on the floor first and if it doesn't burn well to build a rack out of 3/4 round stock.

Bistineau-

The guy has a food grade stain less table that is about the same height. He requested that a table be omitted at this time.

Fwiw, the handle on the door will be a piece of turned Arizona cypress. Should look nice. Thanks for the comments guys, this has been a fun build. I have learned that 3/8 is a bit thick and if I do it again I'll build it out of 1/4".
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

That's badass!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!