Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Sheet Metal Bender

I've been wanting one of these for a while but couldn't find anything reasonable priced...or portable enough. I even went so far as to buy one from HF, which I took back the next morning (nothing but junk, should have known better)! I wanted something that could bend up to 16g. I had some scrap in the garage and decided the other day to see if I could throw one together and this is the result. It's basically in 3 pieces; the base plate, the blade and the bending beam. Right now, it will bend stock up to 20 1/2"" wide.

I made the handle & hinges out of 1/2" pipe. The hinge pins are 3/4" x 6" bolts. I left room between the hinges for a 24" sheet but I only had enough scrap to make a 20" blade. I can always make another in the future if I need to bend something 24" wide.

The base plate is 33" long and is made out of 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" pieces. I drilled through the base plate & my Nomad welding table (with a 1/4" top added to it) so that I could attach the bending brake to the table. Instead of using nuts on the bolts, I drilled each bolt to accept a spring-pin so that I could attach/detach it quickly without tools.

The blade is also made from a 1/4" x 1 3/4" piece. I drilled through both the blade and into the base plate and tapped the base so that I could attach the blade to the base with bolts to hold the pieces to be bent securely. I beveled the bending edge 45deg with the angle grinder.

The bending plate is made from 2" x 2" x 1/4"" angle. The handle is 18" long. The grip was something I saved from an old string-trimmer that died.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It puts a sharp bend on 18g and just a little less sharp on the 16g but it's good enough for me.

That's about it. I hope someone finds this useful. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who could use something like this.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    Last edited by HomerJSapien; 04-13-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: wrong title