Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweetwater, TX
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
    I like your idea of splitting the plates apart in the middle to make room for a clamp.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Nice job on the welding table elvis.
    Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. 2013-04-11 15.30.55.jpg Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

    A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hertford NC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Nice Table!!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. 2013-04-11 15.30.55.jpg Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.
    I like how you have space in between the adjustment holes, the benders I've seen similar to yours look like the holes are almost touching each other. The frame looked like it wouldn't hold up with regular use.


    Just something to look at, It's bender I made for HF dies.

    http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/ta...small%20bender
    Last edited by tackit; 04-12-2013 at 05:08 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit:305702
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Thanks! I have since cleaned up the dross from plasma cutting the pieces. I use the table almost every day. Absolutely the greatest thing. I do wish that I would have gone thicker. I think I'll build my next one out of 3/4 and possible go CRS. The clamp slot in the middle is about 2 inches wide and will take almost any clamp. It is AWESOME. 2013-04-11 15.30.55.jpg Building a tube bender and I had it clamped to the table to keep it straight while it was cooling after welding the pieces together.
    I like how you have space in between the adjustment holes, the benders I've seen similar to yours look like the holes are almost touching each other. The frame looked like it wouldn't hold up with regular use.


    Just something to look at, It's bender I made for HF dies.

    http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/ta...small%20bender
    The picture album link didn't work? ill try from a computer tomorrow.

    The bender is made with laminated 1/4" to make a 1/2" thick on each side. The holes are pretty close together but that is limited to the design of jd2 dies. The plans came from plasma spider. If this proves to be too light I will recut it with 3/8 sheet and make sure you cut all the holes with an annular cutter instead of plasma for better tolerance. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the painted final version. I also should post up the smoker I'm building.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

    A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Hey heavy,

    Another good project after the table is a welding cart. Artwork can be fun and lucrative if you do it right. I have seen some cool lamps and coffee tables made from old farm and automotive parts. The great thing about welding is the freedom to make almost anything. Also, now that you have a welder don't you need a plasma? I have a lead on where you could get a used one. PM if you're interested.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

    A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hertford NC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture

    Nice Table!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hertford NC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hi all. I made a couple of more runs pulled out the best looking ones to show. The test piece at the top was just a straight run pushing from right to left the one at the bottom was my attempt at doing "cursive "E" but it look...well let's be honest it look kind of "rough" .

    16ga.jpg16ga 2.jpg

    Oh I did not have any more 1/8 steel so this was done using 16ga @ 3.5v 29ws
    Last edited by Heavychevy; 04-13-2013 at 06:13 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Looks better. The weave bead has plenty of heat and from the pictures I would say it is a good weld. The second had less heat. Something that might help is to be as comfortable as possible when learning. The cursive bead would look great if it was consistent. Keep up the good work!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

    A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hertford NC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Hey heavy,

    Another good project after the table is a welding cart. Artwork can be fun and lucrative if you do it right. I have seen some cool lamps and coffee tables made from old farm and automotive parts. The great thing about welding is the freedom to make almost anything. Also, now that you have a welder don't you need a plasma? I have a lead on where you could get a used one. PM if you're interested.
    All great tips, I really appreciate the help! As for the plasma cutter you are right again I would love to get one. As a matter of fact after my tax refund it was either get a new welder or keep my old Lincoln 100 HD and but a Plasma. Since I am currently unemployed as of the first of this month (April 1st got to love the humor in some employers ) money will be extra tight until I can gain employment again. When I do a plasma will be top of my list!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.