Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to mig welding some opinion on some test pieces.

Hi all as the title implies I would like some opinion on some test pieces I welded together using 1/8 inch steel. First off I would like to say I welded off and on for a few years but only flux core welding using my 115 volt Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak 100 HD. I found out quickly that mig welding for me is truly different (especially with 230v). Anyway I welded two pieces using my Millermatic 211 MVP I got about 2 weeks ago and would like some thoughts to improve.

The settings I used was the factory suggesting setting under 230v for 1/8 steel of 65 (Wirespeed) 4.5 (Voltage). The piece to the right I tinkered with at 50 (Wirespeed) and 5 (Voltage).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So it looks like c25 gas with .030 wire?

The left one you could probably move a little faster to flatten out the bead a bit. I like to do cursive "e" pattern and just let the puddle lick the top edge of the top piece. I usually like to push but on small stuff I don't think it really matters.
    Get yourself a six-pack, practice some more and post some more pics. I'd say you're off to a good start!

So what are you going to do with your new welder? Now you need one of these... see attached picture
    Last edited by elvis; 04-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Last edited by tackit; 04-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    So it looks like c25 gas with .030 wire?

The left one you could probably move a little faster to flatten out the bead a bit. I like to do cursive "e" pattern and just let the puddle lick the top edge of the top piece. I usually like to push but on small stuff I don't think it really matters.
    Get yourself a six-pack, practice some more and post some more pics. I'd say you're off to a good start!

So what are you going to do with your new welder? Now you need one of these... see attached picture
    Sorry I knew I was going to forget something as important as gas and wire size . Yes you are correct 030 wire and75 argon 25 C02 gas.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet I figure I start off small like a new welding table and work my way up may be slow going as soon as I got my welder I was laid off from my job (irony but no regrets on getting the welder!)

I tried to see your attachment but I don't see anything?

Oh and thanks for the tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Thanks!

I'm on my tablet. I'll try from home later tonight. Also check out weldingtipsandtrick.com. Jodi knows his $#!t
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

I'm on my tablet. I'll try from home later tonight. Also check out weldingtipsandtrick.com. Jodi knows his $#!t
    Thanks! Also I'm quite familar with weldingtipsandtricks and you are right. Jody's an endless supply of knowledge and he's blunt, no BS cut straight to the chase that is what I like about him!

Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy View Post
    Thanks! Also I'm quite familar with weldingtipsandtricks and you are right. Jody's an endless supply of knowledge and he's blunt, no BS cut straight to the chase that is what I like about him!
    I like his videos too. I even bought a tig finger to try out.

OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

OK let's try this... you need one of these. See picture
    Nice job on the welding table elvis.