Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding table legs

i just got a 4'x4'x3/8" peice of steel to make a welding table with. im thinking either 2x2 angle or 2x2 box for the legs and supports would 1/8" thick be ok for the legs? i tried moving the top today and its pretty **** heavy.

Cool

I have a 4x4x3/8 table and used 4" pipe legs and a 3x3x1/4 frame on top of the legs as the table is just tacked to the frame to keep it from warping...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

ok i guess i was mainly wondering what wall thickness for the legs. what are yours?

I have two 4x6x1/2" tables. I used 4" pipe for both. 2" will likely work fine, but with 4" the table has a ton more lateral stability. I put 5" wheels on mine, if I drag it around the shop and hit a chuck of steel I don't have to worry about the legs folding under the table. 4" square would work fine too. I think mine are 1/4"ish wall. I think 3/16" would be about as thin as I would want.

My table top is about 40"x60"x3/8" and I used 2x2x1/4" tubing for the legs, because that is what I had left from another project. I framed it with 2.5x2.5x1/4" angle iron. The2x2x1/8 tubing you mentioned should be sufficient to support your table, IMHO. I used 2x2x1/4" angle about a foot from the bottom to tie the legs together all the way around and to provide a place for a storage shelf.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 04-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.

I've got a 3x6x1/2 table and I used 2x2x.120 square for the legs. It works fine. No flex or anything, I built a rectangle top out of the box too set the top on. Keeps it steady. I just put a few light stitch welds to hold the top on. I checked it as I went to make sure it didn't warp the top. I still need wheels. It s heavy to move around!

I put the slot in the middle so I could clamp inthe middle of the table. I think that picture is before I finished since there is still some dross from cutting the pieces. Just a mock up with the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elvis; 04-10-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I just built a table with a 4x4x.500 top and I had some 2x2 heavy wall angle left over from somewhere. Usually you can order angle in 1/8th or a heavy wall which is around 1/4 inch. Here's a pic of some valves that I was welding flanges into. Each valve is 230 lbs and the table is holding good. I need to put some cross supports on the legs to keep it from wobling. I made the table 44 inches tall because I like welding with a bar stool.large valves.jpglarge valves2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slow50 View Post
    i just got a 4'x4'x3/8" peice of steel to make a welding table with. im thinking either 2x2 angle or 2x2 box for the legs and supports would 1/8" thick be ok for the legs? i tried moving the top today and its pretty **** heavy.
    It depends on how rough you will get with your table, how much weight you will put on it and how severely you will beat on it or on what's on the table. 2 x 2 x 1/8 angle is not enough in my view. The square tube might do but for a welding table I wouldn't use it without angle braces, maybe out of 2 x 2 tube as well. At least 2 per leg, maybe 4 --2 up + 2 down to the lower frame.
    I been thinking of building another table myself but I need to move mine loaded with mabe a ton of stuff on it. I'm need to decide between cast wheels mounted on the bench or putting in the lower shelf at the right height to just pick it up with a pallet jack and move it that way. Then I could have multiple tables and not have to make and mount wheels.
    Meltedmetal

well i picked up the top today and it turns out its 1/2" and exremely heavy. so i think im gona go 1/4" on the legs. what would you guys recomend for some heavy duty wheels for this?

Quote Originally Posted by slow50 View Post
    well i picked up the top today and it turns out its 1/2" and exremely heavy. so i think im gona go 1/4" on the legs. what would you guys recomend for some heavy duty wheels for this?
    Would depend on how much you plan to put on top of the table and the size of the table top.

You already have to figure the weight of just the table itself plus the weight of anything you plan to put on top and on shelves. From that total determine what rating wheels you need. I've seen them from less than 100lb rating to 1,000 lb rating per wheel at tractor supply, I would suggest you go one size bigger than you "think" you need. Never hurts to have a margin of safety.

Your 1/2" plate is going to weigh about 20.40lbs per square foot based off this sight.
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/st...ht-d_1561.html

Then add the legs, etc..