Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Storage of solid mig wire

Is there any time limit for leaving out a spool of mig wire setup on the welder ready to weld?

I'm only able to work on my projects on the weekends and previously with my MM140 I would remove the flux core wire and discard the wire that was fed into the liner. I didn't have a shop back then, so projects were months apart.

ive heard that in some cases mig wire is stored in an oven to prevent rust but thought I'd get advice from those who make a living doing this.

ill be welding pretty much each weekend for the next month or two, so not sure i want to remove the spool each time and discard the 15ft in the mig liner, but if I need to I guess I will. I just want to make sure I prolong the liner life and don't let the wire go to waste.

Every weekend you'll be good

You can also throw some Silica gel packets in the compartment where the roll is, if fin you live in a very humid place.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Wire storage

Release the tension on drive rollers and roll wire back on spool. Then store the spool in zip lock bag to keep it from rusting.

The 15 ft isnt much in the grand scheme of things but agree with Broc, look and see.

Quote Originally Posted by GARAGEGADGETS View Post
    Release the tension on drive rollers and roll wire back on spool. Then store the spool in zip lock bag to keep it from rusting.
    That is what I use to do with my MM140 since the spools were only 4" 2lb.

The spool on the MM252 I got is I believe 11lbs so probably 8" in diameter.

So should I relieve the tension and zip lock it even if going a week between use?

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Every weekend you'll be good

You can also throw some Silica gel packets in the compartment where the roll is, if fin you live in a very humid place.
    It is pretty dry here, but I might look into the big silica packs like they use in gun safes and store one with it.

Any of you store your wire in an oven of some sort? Know where I can get one at an affordable price?

If you are using a solid wire that is copper coated, then you really dont have to worry too much about rust. Just cover it when not in use to prevent dust build-up on it.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Unless you have an old shop or something you have nothing to worry about. I leave my welder totally set up. Sometimes ill go 4+ months without using it. Shoot I've had a roll of .023 sitting on the bottom of my cart for over a year and a half and it looks brand new. Only time I've heard of people having problems is if they stored the welder outside, in a moist shed, or a really old shop.

It's pretty dry here in northern Nevada. I leave a 33 pound spool of .035 solid wire on the machine for months at a time and have no problems with rust or oxidation to the wire. Living in a moist, humid area could be a whole different story and in that case perhaps previous ideas would have to be put in place. I do know that my smaller spools of aluminum wire must be kept wrapped or sealed as they will oxidize even in this dry desert area.

Well I guess since we've been in severe drought conditions for the past few years I shouldn't have to worry much about rust. I'll just leave it setup for now then.
    I have a miller cover over the welder and then plastic over the miller cover, so I shouldn't have to much dust to worry about.

The shop is less than 2 years old, but no insulation and not quite sealed up tight. This year I plan on sealing it all up with spray insulation around the seams and then I'll look into what I can do to insulate the walls and ceiling.

Thinking maybe bats of fiberglass insulation that I can secure in place with chicken wire since the building is already built. Either way I'll have to find an insulation that will not ignite from grinder sparks.