Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: so far on truck

I dont mean to offend, You are definately a talented guy, Just trying to give what I think is good advice. ( And the good Lord knows I've made a few mistakes myself along the way. )

For Instance.

I used to look look down on guys that had Bob cats and Trail blazers Because I had a Big Bad Miller Big 40.
    That was until my buddy Vern Kicked my A$$ with a Trail Blazer and a suit case feeder.
    It didd'nt take me long to retire the big 40 and get a Trail Blazer.

If I was gonna buy a truck with a crane it would be a boom truck. Lots of irrigation around here but there are two company's that have all of that work. I have tried hard to get it but all I can get are a few z pipes here and there.

I have the same problem, I want to get into rebuilding asphalt plants but they have been using the same guys for years, The only work they give me is welding aluminum fuel tanks so far.

I just have to wait for them to mess up.

I do a shutdown every year along with a few others and repairs here and there at one of the asphalt plants. I also have a lot of work in sand and gravel plants.. its my favorite kind of work... lots of hardfacing

Default so far on truck

Weldonwelding. Been doing a fair share of hard surfacing lately myself. Have u ever used a carbide trickler ? It vibrates carbide down a tube into your hard surface weld puddle.
    Thx Greg

gnforge, I've gotten parts with carbide chips in it, Never looked into do it but I bet its got great wear characteristics.

Might not be good in a sand eviroment because the sand would eat out the bonding agent and release the chips.

But I bet it would be great for things with conrete, stones-rock in it.

I've installed parts on things like wood tub grinders that had them.

Default so far on truck

Portable welder
    i hv been rebuilding & building Reamers for a under ground directional boring Co. for last couple years. We've had it on Reamers from a co out west and it is the only thing that holds up under ground. I've put a lot on over the years with Oxy acy but it is just to time consuming.
    Purchased trickler and hv been trying to work bugs out, and get the right hard surface wire. Just wondering if u guys had used it and allready perfected it.
    Kinda a pain as needs to be pretty flat and under the trickler box but once set up its fast.
    As for sand & gravel ur right but if u use a very fine carbide and hard surface wire for matrix it holds up awesome. Best we've found for our application. Thx Greg

GN Forge, Thats what I didd'nt know.

What is the bonding agent that holds the carbide chips, but from what you are saying it sounds like hardfacing rod which would be the best case scenareo.

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge:305633
    Weldonwelding. Been doing a fair share of hard surfacing lately myself. Have u ever used a carbide trickler ? It vibrates carbide down a tube into your hard surface weld puddle.
    Thx Greg
    A customer asked me about rebuilding and customizing a few cutting heads for his well rig.. this may come in handy but i have never seen it before. im gona look into it