Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so far on truck

I don't put a lot of weight on this truck but it does have helper springs. I use the f350 or a trailer when I have weight

Weldon welding, where are your tanks going to go.

Are you building that to go out on the pipe line.

Weldonwelding, I thought you did the same type of work as me ( I'm just a General welder not specialized in any one thing )

You should keep your eye out for a truck with a service crane on it and a rack the full length of the truck to haul ladders and long lengths of steel.

I know putting a crane on my truck let me expand my horizons, There are alot of jobs I get just because I have a crane.

You can find used service trucks with a crane for about $ 10,000.00

Just something to think about for the future, I remember being new in business and how tight money was.

The new bed does look nice and I'm sure there are a few Pipe Line guys that would love to have a bed like that.

A truck like yours is great for the pipe line because its short and can turn around easy. ( Provided its 4 wheel drive. )

If I showed up with my truck on a pipe line they would laugh at me I'm to heavy, to long and not 4wd.

Yes, nice and weight savings can be a real deal anymore. The trend has been bigger and bigger and my next truck is going to be single wheel heavy 3/4 or 1T. So much of the tooling is lighter and I plain out need less as i get older, I am about 10 times better tossin off stuff I really do not use and making it all do double duty and as light as sufficient.

My 20K truck is really a gang box, battery tools have come so far it reduces the need for so much. I remember, heavy truck with genset replaced by pickup with inverter and now just the tool with a battery.

I agree with Portable about the crane, it would be on my short list. I was going to put one on my truck, have a place ready to bolt on and never found the time deal and accesssess to other cranes and equipment, it was coming and then I replaced another flat bed with one with Hiab knuckle boom, almost perfect for my job. Not quite as good for erecktion, its like a super pair of vise grips conveniently stashed.

I don'tl dont have one on my service trucdon'tt dont need it, use this 10X, pic and haul. Only thing that would make it better is one class heavier crane. I get by but I am a pproficientccient rigger and a lot of it can be just marginal, a pinch more wouldn'touldnt hurt a thing.

They would think I was a joke with any of my stuff.

S Berry, I dont believe you just need a pinch more.

Because my crane is always 100' to short:I cheated and put a 10' extension on my mechanics crane so I chave a tip of boom height of 37' plus or minus 6"

My capacity is greatly diminished but alot of times we just need to get something that weighs 300 - 400 lbs. up on the edge of a building or a little conveyor up on a mezzanine.

I remember when you redid that Hiab crane. Do you still have it.

I coulda bought a decent boom truck for 7k and mounted my sa250 on it but it would sit around just like the sa250 does while its on a trailer. I just don't have much need for it. If I needed it I would have it but I needed a flatbed with a new bobcat on it. I'm not much the type to bring a bazooka to a knife fight...

My trailer hauls my material, ladders, air comp, tools and whatever else I need it too. I like to be able to unhook it.

Weldonwelding, I'm not talking about a big boom truck, I'm talking about a mechanics crane that typically has a lift capacity of about 3,000 to 8,000 lbs with a 20' boom, Some of the newer 8,000lb cranes have 25' boom.

The problem with having a truck that only has some of your stuff on it means you have to drive all the way back when you left something on the trailer that you ended up needing.

Alot of times my crane is the 2nd guy.

When I started out I didd'nt have a crane so their were alot of jobs that I had to pass on.

But then I teamed up with a guy ( We both had our own rigs but his had a crane ) and once I seen everything he used his crane for made me realize how important a crane was.

Hopefully one day you will have one and then you will know what I mean.

I do well with what I have. Thanks though for your opinion.