Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    You guys scared the **** of me - I have 4 or 5 grinders ALL without the guards. I have never had a problem but maybe my luck is running out....I will try a couple to see if I can still use the grinders...................

I keep one just for the wire wheel and another for hard disks, I will try those. The others with lap disks are hard to use with guards.
    Your just an accident waiting on a time to happen, and the clock is ticking.

I carry a extra 41/2 and 9" grinder with the guard removed. I only use them with a flap disk. I have also seen people take about a half inch off the bottom of the guard so you can still lay the wheel flat on a surface and

I haven't used it much but it's one tool I should have bought right from the beginning to reach those tight spots a wheeled grinder can't get at.. no struggling, no wrangling around to find a way to clean up that last bit in a corner or between close objects that stop wheeled grinders from reaching.

Where the weld was ground off the tank is actually near where a 1" tube fed air into the tank from the 2" water trap, it was cut out and the holes repaired in both the tank and the trap.

The damage to the weld was caused by first trying to get at the patch work with a 4 1/2" and then my 7" grinder with a new wheel to get more reach. I said enough of this nonsense and ordered the Dynabraid.

Last edited by tackit; 04-09-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Took all the guards off my grinders. Got bit several times. Put all the guards back on. That darn grinder/wire wheel just took a lot of skin off my right index finger...hurts like ****. I guess it's a part of the game, and will have to be as safe as possible.

It is a rare occasion that I take them off anymore. I have had to to get it into a tight spot, but I don't like it. With the guard on you can also set the grinder down face first, and keep the spinning wheel from throwing debris at you while it winds down.

I think pipeline welders are the worst offenders of removing guards. I wish I had a dollar for every one that showed up with their grinder guards removed! First thing they usually have to do when arriving at my job site is to go buy a new grinder....with a guard!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

guards off, used for some jobs, guards on, used for some jobs, the thought of loosing flesh from all parts of your body, knocking your teeth out, burning the crap out of your body, cuts needing stitchs, metal in the eye, ear, if this souds too horrible for any one, then dont be a welder, welding is a very dangerous profession. this stuff is going to happen to you, no matter how safe you are, accidents will happen, its a fact of life, another fact, welding is not for the faint of heart

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    I think pipeline welders are the worst offenders of removing guards. I wish I had a dollar for every one that showed up with their grinder guards removed! First thing they usually have to do when arriving at my job site is to go buy a new grinder....with a guard!
    Yup when i worked at Marathon they had to have a guard and a handle, no ifs about it. Their rules....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

To each his own but to me smaller rat tail grinders are the most controllable. Here is my Makita 6" rat tail grinder that Makita quit making. I have two Hitachi rat tails in 5" but I run 6" wheels on them too. IMO 6" rat tails are the perfect size for most open jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    guards off, used for some jobs, guards on, used for some jobs, the thought of loosing flesh from all parts of your body, knocking your teeth out, burning the crap out of your body, cuts needing stitchs, metal in the eye, ear, if this souds too horrible for any one, then dont be a welder, welding is a very dangerous profession. this stuff is going to happen to you, no matter how safe you are, accidents will happen, its a fact of life, another fact, welding is not for the faint of heart
    Where I work we are not allowed to remove the guards of our grinders, they supply us with grinders that don't have trigger locks as well, for safety reasons.

If you cant use a grinder with a guard to do a job, there is another tool, that will do that job.

If I need to grind in some tight area, I'll do everything I can with the grinder that I can loosen up the guard easily and turn the opening of the guard in the direction I need it to be and do all the rest with a industrial die grinder with the right size carbide bit.
    Nice and safe.