Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC400 bucket

"Forgot to mention I'm changing the shanks to Cat style. The new edge is 2" x 14" x 70". Welding with Tri-mark 777 & ESAB 7100 ultra."

Why the 2 different wires? I looked them up and seem interchangeable. What gas did you use w/ them?
    Very interesting thread! Thanx for posting.
    Last edited by HayFarmer; 04-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Explanation of equipment & wires. Short story made long.

This construction company rented half of their building out to the fab shop that I worked for from 86 to 09. When the fab shop went out of business the construction company basically bought the equipment from my bay. 3 ton gantry crane, Delta weld 452, 22a feeder, old Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 stick machine & an ESAB plasma. When I do work for them in their shop it's like coming home for me, just that I'm on the other side of the wall.

So the wire question -- They had about 30# of TriMark 777 on the feeder when I got there. I used that up & then stuck on a spool of ESAB 7100 ultra which is what I normally use. The wires run very similar, it's just that we use two different suppliers who stock different wires. As far as gas, I used co2 until their bottle ran out & then had to use 75/25 which I had with me until they replaced it the next day. I prefer co2 with these two wires but 75/25 is acceptable.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Admweld, Dont you know what kind of site this is.

I heard the molded one break off really easy and are junk so you always want to buy them separate and have us WELDERS WELD THEM ON .

Theres nothing I like better than cutting into an old bucket, putting wear bars in, A little line boring here and there.
    When the customer buys the stuff and dumps it at your shop you don,t have much choice at the point.Thats how i had seen that style before.And yes i will agree with the aftermarket supp
    lies on cost.I usually use hensley from my supplier around here.
    Last edited by admweld; 04-16-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Default a couple more questions...

The new edge you put on, did you preheat and/or post-heat that before/after welding on it? Was it an AR steel or something else?

The shank welds were hard faced or left as is? If not hardfaced it seems they would wear pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    The new edge you put on, did you preheat and/or post-heat that before/after welding on it? Was it an AR steel or something else?

The shank welds were hard faced or left as is? If not hardfaced it seems they would wear pretty fast.

No preheat or postheat. Don't know the exact composition of the steel. When I order these I just tell my supplier I need a cutting edge for xxx & here are the dimensions. If it had been in freezing temps I would have preheated.

No hard facing on the shanks. The way the shanks are cast there are large bevels on the sides & back. I put three passes on them just bring them out flush. The shanks are also tapered front to back which helps with wear. Once the tooth is on it is larger than the shank so that helps shield it also.

Here is a link to a pic of a shank. You can clearly see the bevel where the weld goes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESCO-BUCKET-...744264&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by MMW; 04-18-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thx, interesting stuff!

Nice work and thanks for sharing your info.MMW ,gotta coment on Portables reply and cudos to his remark that reminds us why we are in the buisness,I know sometimes its tempting to buy a factory welded item and with a little rework on our part we can resale thier item and make some money to boot,maybe even more.And in some ways it does make more buisness sense,Trailor hitches are a good example.I use to build them all from scratch,same way with the goose neck and 5th wheel camper setups for pickups.Now if I choose I can just order one,bolt it up,to specks of course and send them down the road.Since I do more Ornamental Iron these days I prefer to do all my own iron work as opposed to buying it out of Texas or elsewhere and I know they offer quality items,and I'm not talking about cold bent scrolls etc.I have a coal forge,parked right beside my plazma cutter.Also use a gas forge,MIG,Tig,O/A and stick.along with other useful eq.benders,rollers etc.I know several other shop owners who claim its more profitble to buy out than to fab it themselves and then complain about thier customers buying imports,Whose to blame?How are we old guys( if your reading this) expect the young guys to learn if were not doing it ourselves.I see young guys starving to learn just as we were.BTW average age of an American welder is 58 Im still below average,not by much though.Sorry to rant on your thread MMW it is nice work though...

turbo38t Guest

Yea....CO2 is the way to go. The tensile strength is slightly less than with c25 but the ductility is better......what u want with a bucket. I love the 777 1/16" with co2....
    Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Explanation of equipment & wires. Short story made long.

This construction company rented half of their building out to the fab shop that I worked for from 86 to 09. When the fab shop went out of business the construction company basically bought the equipment from my bay. 3 ton gantry crane, Delta weld 452, 22a feeder, old Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 stick machine & an ESAB plasma. When I do work for them in their shop it's like coming home for me, just that I'm on the other side of the wall.

So the wire question -- They had about 30# of TriMark 777 on the feeder when I got there. I used that up & then stuck on a spool of ESAB 7100 ultra which is what I normally use. The wires run very similar, it's just that we use two different suppliers who stock different wires. As far as gas, I used co2 until their bottle ran out & then had to use 75/25 which I had with me until they replaced it the next day. I prefer co2 with these two wires but 75/25 is acceptable.