Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for the kind words Kev

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    It is not just to improve the look of my workshop but to allow for square stock and odd shaped items to be turned. With that said here it is holding some square stock ready for carving.

Ji
    Looks like to need to find a bigger 4 jaw too. Watch turning bigger sq parts with the jaws reversed and without a center in the tailstock holding up the other end as it will come flying out of the chuck. That i do know very well...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Hi Bob,
    Well I did buy a 6 inch 4 jaw chuck at the auction too but I only turn small square parts most of the time. The section I photographed in the new chuck I had sitting on my bench and will only require squaring the ends (will square in the mill less setting up). Being hollow section I am unsure how you could support it. I normally support anything over 2 inches long as they get pushed away by the cutter that I have found.

My short range sight is evaporating but my nose is not long enough to keep sliding the glasses down to compensate. Has any one set up a webcam to a monitor for viewing the cutting area? If so what did you use I am investigation digital microscopes at the present that are Wi Fi so no wires and can be viewed on my Ipad.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

You could make a big dia bull nose center to push in on the sq tube. I made one for larger parts...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks Bob that would do it

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

That square hollow section begged to be trued by the new lathe chuck. So I turned the revs down to 160rpm and feed rate was 0.05mm per pass. The tube was cut by a aluminium drop saw so only need 4 passes per end.
    Using a dial indicator was pretty confusing as I could not get it any closer than .05mm. Then I saw what was happening. The tube walls were deflecting inwards from the force of the chuck jaws.
    Oh well it was centred.

worked better than expected.
    Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Mounting plates are normally made from cast iron or steel because they are more stable than aluminum. Wondering why you didn't just chuck the 4 jaw in the 3 jaw? Have a 4 jaw that doesn't fit any of my lathes and use occasionally and that's how I grip it.

Hi Just,
    Thermal expansion alters aluminium's dimensions that is for sure. I don't turn all day long or take large bits so my chuck and base plate don't really get hot, but just in case that does happen that is why I made the base plate so it needs some heat to even fit. After that it is just a spacer so aluminium should do fine as my machine does not spin real fast (max is 1600rpm).
    I have never had a 4 jaw chuck so did not think about holding it with the 3 jaw, great suggestion. My 3 jaw and 4 jaw weigh a bit, combined that is a fare old weight being supported by the bearings without the job weight spinning force or tool pressure. Have you ever had yours fly off or just fall onto the bed? What size 3 jaw chuck do you have in comparison to your 4 jaw?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Truing the square hollow section yesterday took for ever. Mainly because I was fighting with the magnetic base holder. It was like trying to get someone to stand up that took a handful of sleeping tablets. Not wanting to go through that again I came up with a design for a jig to hold the dial indicator in the tool post.
    I found some scrap aluminium 20mm x 20mm 6061 square bar hanging around so off to the mill I went.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I don't have a slitting saw so I cut the compression gap with my band saw. Not to bad.
    It holds the indicator perfectly.
    No more fights or lost time.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it