Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 4 Jaw Chuck Adaptor Plate For Lathe

My lathe did not come with a independant 4 jaw chuck and I have been unable to purchase an adaptor plate to suit any chucks on the market.
    Yesterday I went to my aluminium store and purchased some offcuts. Today I started to lathe the adaptor plate for a ind 4 jaw chuck I bought new at an auction last week for $20.00.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool

Nice work. I have made dozens of adaptors but from cast iron or steel. Wish i had an aluminum offcut store by me...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I paid $5 for the offcut I used. It was the end of a length that had been band sawed both sides. Needed to be trued both sides before any real work could be started. Finished the adaptor today but ran out of time to post the images. I made the two connections machine fit so they have to be heated to install that way there is no runout.
    Our aluminium store does sell offcuts but at the same rate as normal. Even though they do not have to cut it or true it. Still I got what I wanted.
    Thanks for the kind words Bob.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Jig,
    Just what sort of mount is that?
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Jig,
    Just what sort of mount is that?
    Looks like a plate to bolt the chuck to the lathe spindle which has a smaller plate since it isn't threaded...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Looks like a plate to bolt the chuck to the lathe spindle which has a smaller plate since it isn't threaded...Bob
    Bob, I'd still be interested in knowing how the mounting plate mounts to the lathe. I've never seen a lathe not have a mount before, whether threaded or otherwise.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

WyoRoy,
    If I'm not mistaken the second pic shows the lathe driver plate and pics 3 shows the 3-jaw chuck mounted on the lathe. Maybe he will show us the 4-jaw mount to the adapter plate in detail. Looks like the original chuck bolts onto the driver and is kept concertric but the raised boss on the driver which mates to the back of the chuck.
    Meltedmetal

The lathe's spindle has an end plate that the original 3 jaw chuck was bolted too. This plate has a male boss and the chuck had a female boss if you will. I have matched the original boss and bolt connection. The new 4 jaw has a female boss and a 4 bolt pattern. I matched that as well to get what we have now.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

It is not just to improve the look of my workshop but to allow for square stock and odd shaped items to be turned. With that said here it is holding some square stock ready for carving.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Looks good, nice job,