Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default HYPERTHERM PowerMax 600

Is anyone having cutting problems with your Hypertherm PowerMax 600? ie, cut quality and lack of power. If so, I would like your comments on this subject.
    Thanks.

I am sure Jim Colt will chime in eventually. I have had mine for 15 years or so. I have had trouble with it cutting on a few occasions. On most replacing the consumable with the correct Hypertherm parts worked wonders. One other time the ground clamp wire had broken internally at the clamp, with no visible sign of deterioration. Once found I cut off two inches and reconnected and the problem was solved. Start cutting and wiggle the ground wire at the clamp to see if this is affecting yours. Clean dry air (use a motorguard filter) also does wonders for these machines. I also had a trigger issue and forget how I fixed that (new trigger likely). I believe that the power cable inside the torch can come loose, but have not had that problem, so don't know the fix.

Oh, also, pull the cover and check the lugs for the incoming power cables to make sure they are tight. Also check the screws on the terminals inside your wall outlet, extension cable, and breaker panel, as these will work loose over time. I just fixed my MM200 welder when it was welding poorly by checking into those things, and found a loose wire in my extension cord.

Jim seemed to be chiming in and troubleshooting with you in the "best plasma cutter" thread, what happened to that?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default hypertherm powermax 600

I don't know,has not replyed lately. Not trying to be dificult,just curious if other people are having problems with these machines.I have two friends with 600,s that have had problems sence they were new,just wondering ifthere were others.

As I mentioned on another thread....I'll be happy to help you out with your issues with your 600. Usually low power issues indicate either air flow issues (could be a restriction or a leak) or consumable issues, or even a worn torch body. These units are easy to troubleshoot...and Hypertherm has a great (free) tech service department that is always happy to help troubleshoot issues like yours..

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by voudoux View Post
    I don't know,has not replyed lately. Not trying to be dificult,just curious if other people are having problems with these machines.I have two friends with 600,s that have had problems sence they were new,just wondering ifthere were others.