Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Filler rod for auto exhaust

Hi, new here and still learning TIG basics. I'm having to modify a Magnaflow exhaust and from what I can find its either 409 or 436 SS. My local supply store only had ER 309L and ER 316L yesterday. I bought both and I also have some ER70S2. Can I weld this SS exhaust with any of the rods I have on hand. I made 1 joint on a spare pipe with the 70S2 and it seems ok but will it just crack in service? I don't want to use any of the SS filler if it won't work because it was $200.00 for the 2 grades and I want to return it if it won't work. Thanks!

Default and the part of the exhaust I need to modify is the _______???

Quote Originally Posted by Route13 View Post
    Hi, new here and still learning TIG basics. I'm having to modify a Magnaflow exhaust and from what I can find its either 409 or 436 SS. My local supply store only had ER 309L and ER 316L yesterday. I bought both and I also have some ER70S2. Can I weld this SS exhaust with any of the rods I have on hand. I made 1 joint on a spare pipe with the 70S2 and it seems ok but will it just crack in service? I don't want to use any of the SS filler if it won't work because it was $200.00 for the 2 grades and I want to return it if it won't work. Thanks!
    .....and the part of the exhaust I need to modify is the _______???

The more info you give, the more appropriate, some of the answers you'll get.

I am just making butt joints on the pipe of the system. Until I can verify with magnaflow on Monday the best I can tell is it is either 409 or 436 stainless. I have found a few different articles that conflict with each other so I'm looking for someone who knows what will work and what won't.

the 309 or the 316 will work. for the most part, any stainless wire will work. matching the alloys will give you a color match between the weld and you matrerial.