Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Go Torch portable CNC table

Looks like a good CNC start table which can be taken to the jobsite.

http://www.gotorch.com/

Wow.. that just became next on my list of must haves

weldonwelding I think it's a cool machine too, seems like it's pretty straight foward machine with easy learning curve software. Good entry level machine for sure.

looks like a mini plasmacam to me. smaller and green instead of blue. for some reason i dont trust a company that sells three different size machines under 3 different company names. i own a dynatorch table and they sell all different sizes under 1 roof.
    Last edited by cayager; 04-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.

That machine uses Plasmacam controls and software.
    It;s small 2x2 surface size is designed to compete with the Torchmate 2x2 table. Torchmate has sold a ton of these small 2x2 machines. The GoTorch machine is superior to the Torchmate in that is uses servo motors which are superior 2 way communication motors compared to the one way communication stepper motors that the Torchmate 2x2 uses. The gotorch also comes with z axis standard. The Torchmate Z axis is an option on its 2x2.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

The dynatorch tables look nice. Now if I could just find someone close with one before I drop a chunk o change. That go torch looks decent, but 2x2 is so limiting... Good for portable work I guess. I've only used a homemade table running stepper motors. Eh, it was okay. IMO building a table is the easy part. It is interfacing all the rest of the junk that can make or break the setup.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Elvis, I have one down in Cave Creek.
    It is a good machine, quality wise. You must be aware of several things BEFORE you buy this machine though. Number one, it does not come with ANY drawing software whatever!!! I repeat NONE. You can NOT draw a circle, much less a pioneer wagon train. For $998 you can upgrade to PCAMs basic level of software, for an additional $998 you can upgrade to their advanced design edge software. It comes with NO auto torch height control, repeat again NONE. You can upgrade to their basic THC for $998, or for another $998 you can get to Ohmic THC. If you want to change table size that will cost you $998 for the software upgrade and about as much for the rails and gantry piece. So, for the original $3000, plus 5 x $998, you have a fully functional machine. I think that comes out to slightly more than their 4X4 table. Oh you also WILL NOT be able to call PCAM for any support whatever. They claim they have no knowledge of this 'other' company that is selling their machine parts under license. Your only support is their public forum, which is pretty decent, but it may sometimes take days to get an issue resolved which is a few clicks of the keyboard on their end.

I bought one for several reasons, first being that it was a cheap way to get into a CNC machine for my small shop. Second, having used a CNC plasma in the past I already had some drawing skills, and already have several adaptable drawing programs (autocad, emachine, and access to older design edge). Lastly having much experences doing the custom work I do, i know that most of the parts I cut out are under 2'x2'.

I built a table to sit my machine on. I built it to hold 4X4 sheets, and if I choose to expand my machine then it will bolt easily to the table. It take two people to move it, not due to weight, just awkward to grab. Need to have a fully functional built in parallel port on the computer. This eliminates most laptops. It also means that if you are taking it into the field, you need to load up the shop computer (or you can buy and additional seat license, i think they are ONLY $500). They also make it look likeit is easily self contained unit, which is not the case. The picture of one in the back of a pickup truck does not show the CPU, the plasma cutter, the air compressor, and jack stands. Not saying it can't be done, just not as easy as the picture. Also be aware that it will trip any GFCI that it is plugged into. so forget taking it to customers houses unless you are planing to rewire their outlets.

Also be aware. You are not going to make a killing making air conditioning ducts, that market is already oversupplied with cheap fittings. You are not going to make a mint doing forest cut outs, by the time you do 10 cut outs you will have saturated the market for them in your area if it is not already full up. You have to have your own ideas for new and fully finished products, or use it in your existing business.

Walker,

That was a great writeup. It helped me out tremendously. Those are the hidden costs I was concerned about. That setup costs more than half of a dynatorch table that is 4x8 and has arc voltage height control, a touchscreen windows computer to interface, torch damage protection and even a fancy laser to set your zero point. I guess a gotorch is technically more portable, but the little "extras" really add up.

My intended use of a table (someday...) are for offroad fab stuff. I am an "advanced hobbyist" and prefer to make my own stuff. Sure I could buy a control arm bracket, but I'd rather spend 20k on a cnc table and a 40ton homemade break. I guess that is dedication. Or something.

FWIW, I am heading to phx monday to pickup some steel. Shoot me a PM and maybe I can swing by and check out the table.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Just to throw in my experience with PlasmaCam tables....I have owned two over the last 14 years, and just bought the GoTorch (which is a 2 x 2 version of a PlasmaCam).

My main shop machine is a 4 x 4 PlasmaCam with all of the software and height control upgrades. The software is incredibly easy to learn, and even easier to use. It has great on screen graphics that allow you to highlght individual parts and drag, drop, rotate them anywhere on the cutting table....no messing with machine code (G-Code) or having to reset machine x-y co-ordinates because the control and computer always know the torch position....an advantage of the servo drives (most low cost machines use stepper drives). The PlasmaCam has the ability to cut at speeds up to 350 ipm, necessary for best cuts on thin sheet, as well as down to 10ipm or less when you have to do that occassional 1" piece.

The advanced Design Edge software is about the third generation of PlasmaCam CAD/CAM....they have taken advice from their thousands of customers over the years and upgraded the software...and in my opinion it now has a drawing package that allows me to do artwork as well as regular geometric parts as well or better than other drawing packages (such as Autocad, Corel and other high end packages). You can draw the parts quickly right at the machine, or you can sit at a desk and take your time....then walk the file to the machine with a thumb drive.

From my perspective, having worked with industrial cnc plasma machines for over 30 years....in locations all around the world, perhaps the best feature of PlasmaCam is the optional advanced height control capability. The height control can use ohmic plate sensing to accurately find the surface of the plate before every cut cycle, by doing this it calibrates the torch height control and resets the arc voltage/height relationship....eliminating the need for the operator to experiment with an arc voltage setting in order to get the cut height correct. The only other machines that have this capability are industrial machines that can cost upwards of $80k.

So, yes....you can buy a stripped version of the PlasmaCam machines at a very low price...the 2 x 2 go torch is about $3k. In my opinion and with my experience, these systems need the software upgrades and the height control upgrades....so add about $3k to that machine and you now have a (2 x 2) machine in the $6k range that works as well as the PlasmaCam 4 x 4 and 5 x 10 machines, on a smaller scale. You can also buy the larger machines without the advanced features.....but I would not recommend them....the height control and the software is what makes these machines cut the best parts with the best plasma torch consumable life.

PlasmaCam does go to market a bit differently than other companies. They sell some machines through dealers (the Samson).....these are generally fully configured with almost all options, and are technically supported by the dealer....and you pay more money for these. You can buy the DHC2 (4 x 4) and the 510 ( 5 x 10) machine direct from the factory in Colorado....they will sell them stripped or with any level of options....they are reasonably priced and you are responsible to unpack the machine, assemble it, watch the video manual and learn how to use it...there is good online and phone in tech support....but don't expect a tech to show up at your shop for a warranty call as you would with an $80k industrial cnc plasma! Last, PlasmaCam has another sales division called Go-Torch.....direct sales of a low cost, stripped 2 x 2 machine to compete with other low cost offerings from a half dozen other companies. No drawing software, no height control (although it does have a motorized z axis that can be jogged up/down by the operator).....and the price is on par with other machines with no software, no height control.

The bottom line on these low cost machines is that you get what you pay for. When you ask guys with my level of experience... we will steer you towards buying machines that are properly equipped to make the cutting operation work better...you need height control, you need good software, and that will add cost. Those that buy on price alone...as with almost any product....may not be 100% satisfied with the performance.

I also have a Torchmate machine in my home shop....and am currently building a home built machine using software, electronics , height control and drives from www.CandCNC.com . I am always available to help answer any mechanized plasma cutting questions....regardless of brand.

Best regards, Jim Colt
    Last edited by jimcolt; 04-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Hey Jim, do you know how units like the gotorch that use hand held torches trigger the plasma on and off? I have done some reading and I can't find it. Thanks.