Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kevin, That is not under cut, The weld is just not filled up to the top, Personally I would have flushed it out to the top, However I doubt that its going to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by californiakid21 View Post
    I'm not saying I approve of that weld. I'm saying the appearance of that weld is pretty common coming straight from the factory. Especially on bumper reinforcement.
    The weld shown was from a frame rail reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I doubt if its fluxcore but its robot for sure. I ran a robot doing HD parts for a while...Bob
    OK, the reason I thought it was FC was the spatter. I figured if it was MIG that would be absent.

Im unfamiliar w/ robotic welding but had the impression there was considerably more regularity than the welds I observed. Some looked like they had very good penetration and others appeared not to. Some were properly w/i the slot while other wandered (some considerably).

I would bet their welds are designed so not to use anymore wire than is necessary, they have a good idea of how long a vehicle is going to last before it's crushed and put on a boat and sent to China as scrap. Filling that weld to the top would be money out of their stock holders pockets.

Forgive my double posting, my computer is supposed to be delivered today. This machine is 2000 Gateway, it's as slow as a democrat on smoke break.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-05-2013 at 07:43 AM.

I would bet their welds are designed so not to use anymore wire than is necessary, they have a good idea of how long a vehicle is going to last before it's crushed and put on a boat and sent to China as scrap. Filling that weld to the top would be money out of their stock holders pockets.

i never mentioned under cut, please look at the bottom weld from left to the high right, i would think that the filler should at least be of the same height or greater of the base metal. we can nit pic this thing all day long, i think we all agree, as said earlier by bob, the factory does not care how it looks, just how it performs, a welder would care, an auto worker does not care