Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeing double

Default seeing double

I use a #9 gold lens for most of my TIG welding, and use a greem #10 for MIG and stick, well I bought a gold #10 the other day to try out for MIG and stick, so I tried it while stick welding yesterday and I was seeing 2 arcs/electrodes, so I switched to my green #10 and my sight was fine, switched back to gold and saw double electrodes again. I don't see double with my gold #9 however. Anyone know what is happening or have the same problem?

Any chance it was a plastic lens? I tried a plastic gold lens about 20 or 25 years ago. Horrible invention!
    I only use a clear plastic lens as a cover plate when wire feed welding or SMAW, if Iím doing a lot of GTAW Iíll use a glass cover lens. These old eyes do not like looking through too much plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford1989 View Post
    I use a #9 gold lens for most of my TIG welding, and use a greem #10 for MIG and stick, well I bought a gold #10 the other day to try out for MIG and stick, so I tried it while stick welding yesterday and I was seeing 2 arcs/electrodes, so I switched to my green #10 and my sight was fine, switched back to gold and saw double electrodes again. I don't see double with my gold #9 however. Anyone know what is happening or have the same problem?
    Are you wearing safety glasses or using a cheater lens?
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

It's a reflection within the lens from the arrangement of the lens. The metallized surface is not perfectly parallel to the other surfaces, so the light is entering at an angle and reflecting within the set of lenses... there are 6 surfaces that the light passes through.

This is the same thing that happens in double or triple pane glass when you see an image that is either not head on, or through panes that aren't perfectly parallel.

Look closely and you will actually see a third very weak image of the sun.

If you have double pane glass, hold a candle or a lighter in front of your face and look at the reflection... it will be a single image. Then, move it away and look at the reflection from an angle... you will see double or triple. The same thing is happening here and it means the one lens is out of whack due to being installed backward, or not being flat. Something is causing it to sit at an angle with respect to the other lenses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

My exact setup is 1)plastic front cover lens with gasket around it, 2)glass #10 gold, 3)plastic cover lens on inside to protect back of filter lens.

Would the gasket from the 1st cover lens be causing the spacing/wrong lineup, in turn causing the reflection? I used that setup again today while TIG welding and I only saw double part of the time, but I couldn't figure out if it was at specific distances from arc, specific angles, etc.

Any angle other than dead on will cause it if there is a space between two reflective surfaces. Try removing the separation gasket and reversing the direction of the gold filter so the metalized surface is against the front cover plate.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Alright, I'll give that a shot next week, thanks for the help.

Bodybagger- Thanks for the lesson.

Learn something everyday. Well explained and interesting. Gez you even had an example...... must be retired.

Question

I know this thread is old, but i couldn't find any other info on this.... i have been experiencing the same thing on and off for the past 2 weeks or so. I have a #10 gold lens. I replaced everything except the lens itself. (even new safety glasses-tried cheaters as well) I even put in my darker lens which is a #12. I'm still seeing this reflection of the arc. But heres the catch, the same thing happened when i tried 2 other helmets out. I have never worn glasses or contacts my whole life and my vision seems fine otherwise.... anyone have any clues?

really need some help here....