Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: big no no!

Quote Originally Posted by Missouripipewelder:306339
    Right on brother, I just joined this forum, I'm a Lincoln guy, mainly because I contract for the North Dakota Oil fields. That being said my my rig trucks got a 300D pipeliner on it. I have an ESAB 150 tig/stick and a Maxstar too. I read you whole post and just misunderstood ya. That monorail projects seemed pretty cool based on the pics. I'll be putting pics up and updating my profile so if ya get a chance check my rig out, its my baby... probably went way overboard but oh well! Take it easy.
    I have a 1989 f350 that i am going to mount my sa250 on. I havnt used either one of them in over 6 months or longer. Im not sure exactly how i wana set it up yet but i definetly wana do something cool, i will have lots of time to mess with it. The truck has a flatbody and its set up to dump so what i might do is build the welder body on kind of a skid so i can slide it off easily and winch it back on whenever.

Default big no no

I'm new to the forum so I'll just say this, as all the seasoned hands are retiring there's a huge vacume for qualified welders especially here in Bakersfield. The problem is only getting worse. The demand in the patch has ramped up and now with this Monterey shale "discovery" oil drillers and support is moving in like bermuda. Thank god for section IV code is all I can say.

turbo38t Guest

Those are typical welds that you get from these "low bidder" truck shops unfortunately. I pride my self on my welding abilities and it shows. I worked for a drilling guy once.....he was a smart man that made a ton of money but lord only knows how he never got his ass sued.....He used to cut drillrig turn tables offwith a torch......have them pressure washed a little, weld a 3/4 plate to a new chases......put the turntable back on and without grinding have his sons high school buddies "learn how to stick weld by welding it on with some 7/32 7018 rods he got in an auction. Did I mention there was usually a good 1/4" gap here n there?