Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    the replacement coupler should NOT be welded on. Bolt only.
    ive never seen an a frame couple bolted on. that would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by cayager View Post
    ive never seen an a frame couple bolted on. that would be interesting to see.
    I have, but only on smaller trailers with a single tongue. If welding was an issue, the factories would use bolts.
    Last edited by cope; 04-06-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Without seeing pics but from the description it should be welded. If a-frame couplers were meant to be bolted they would have bolt holes in them. If you don't feel up to it then have someone else weld it on.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

4.5 inch grinder with cut off wheels cut it alittle at a time to make sure you don't go to deep. I would do 2 passes on it after it is all cleaned up and if you have any doubts drill 2 holes and run some 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts in each side of the A frame and replace the safety chains with new solid ones.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

turbo38t Guest

Wow.....

I own several trailers and have looked at many. I have never seen a coupler of this type bolted to a frame. Here's a shot of the type I'm going to use. The difference being mine has no holes in it.

IMG_2955.jpg
    Last edited by idahoguy; 04-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Cool

My family has been in the trailer biz for more tha 50 years. The only bolt on ones i have seen were boat trailers with a single tube tongue or an aluminum tongue which my family made also. The trailers my dad and i made were all welded on either the A frame type or the single tube...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    For exactly the same reasons that you started this thread, the replacement coupler should NOT be welded on. Bolt only. Cut/weld/grind the neck of the trailer frame to fit the new coupler & its bolts.
    Would this be a good candidate for a bolt on coupler? https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cmlgj9dli...2009.59.05.jpg
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Trailer coupler removal

Just reading the different post on this issue, might want to keep in mind if you do cut off the old coupler and reweld the new on YOU ARE RESPONCEABLE FOR ANY dammages that may accour from poor welding.

By cutting off the old one it voids the FACTORY standard of were it was first made even if it from the 1950's

I have done this type or repair before and yes you will need to weld the coupler on then bolt the jack on, the jack will fail before the coupler will.

When welding the coupler on you will weld the undersides and across the back by the frame rails (other words FULL PENATRATION)

Just my opinion take it for what its worth but remember you are liabale for what ever you do on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by davesweld View Post
    Just reading the different post on this issue, might want to keep in mind if you do cut off the old coupler and reweld the new on YOU ARE RESPONCEABLE FOR ANY dammages that may accour from poor welding.

By cutting off the old one it voids the FACTORY standard of were it was first made even if it from the 1950's

I have done this type or repair before and yes you will need to weld the coupler on then bolt the jack on, the jack will fail before the coupler will.

When welding the coupler on you will weld the undersides and across the back by the frame rails (other words FULL PENATRATION)

Just my opinion take it for what its worth but remember you are liabale for what ever you do on this project.
    Just a note I've been in welding/fabrication for over 20yrs and have built trailers for Haulmark,Pace,Exiss... and built my own custom trailers.