Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trailer Coupler Removal

Hi All,

I am restoring a 1950's 10 ft vintage utility trailer. It was built with a front "A" type frame of 6" box set at 50 degrees. I have to replace the existing welded "A" coupler (a very unusual style) with a new Atwood 2" ball unit. I plan to use 1/8" 7018 Excalibur H4 on my Maxstar to put it together as the wind will be a problem (and I'm too lazy to switch my 251 to FCAW). Two questions:

1. What is the best strategy for removing the existing coupler without damaging the frame rails? I'm reluctant to torch it for fear of cutting into the rails.

2. When welding the new unit on, should I weld the inside as well? I don't see that on any of the new trailers I've looked at and I don't know why they don't.

Thanks

Carbon arc would be my first choice. If you don't have one then a torch. Cut it close & then grind. There is no magic to cut it perfectly so you have no prep. Most couplers on utility trailers are welded on the outside only.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Hi, a picture would help. Actually , it sounds like one I replaced for neighbor. I only removed what was necessary to install new. I cut off the ball end and the top square knob that would secure ball . I ground down the edges on the sides because they had a slight radius and added flatstock to make up for the difference on the new 2'' coupler. I thru bolted the new one to the existing tongue drilling through the old coupler. Worked great and looked clean.

Default Trailer Coupler Removal

u usually just torch cut most of it then metabo close to the welds then break it off and grind it clean.

How about using an air hammer, they make different kinds chisels for them. I
    http://autobodytoolmart.com/ir-5-pie...0-p-11490.aspx

This is beginner 101 questions for removal while installing a coupler is not a beginner job.

Keep in mind, If the trailer becomes detached from the trailer because of a poorly welded coupler and hits the car that is coming in the opposite direction, It could easily kill the whole family in that car.

This is one of those things that should be done by a certified welder.

I understand this is a worse case scenareo but its happened before.

Cool

Whiz wheel and watch how deep you go. I cut gobs of them with a torch when we had the trailer bz going....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    This is beginner 101 questions for removal while installing a coupler is not a beginner job.

Keep in mind, If the trailer becomes detached from the trailer because of a poorly welded coupler and hits the car that is coming in the opposite direction, It could easily kill the whole family in that car.

This is one of those things that should be done by a certified welder.

I understand this is a worse case scenareo but its happened before.
    I agree. Don't weld it on just thru bolt it. Local rental trailers by me were all bolted on.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the cautionary thoughts. All though I do a lot of equipment maintenance welding and some fabrication, I have not removed a coupler, hence the questions. The trailer is under snow so a picture is not practical. I will likely add 1/8 in backing plates to the inside frame rails and cross-bolt the coupler with grade 8s.

For exactly the same reasons that you started this thread, the replacement coupler should NOT be welded on. Bolt only. Cut/weld/grind the neck of the trailer frame to fit the new coupler & its bolts.