Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Did you do any joint prep? If I want a flat appearance I have found it helps to make a place for the weld. So I will usually throw a little bevel on each edge then weld.
    Only prep was taking a brush and knocking off anything loose dust from the new material.

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    Did you do any joint prep? If I want a flat appearance I have found it helps to make a place for the weld. So I will usually throw a little bevel on each edge then weld.
    Only prep was taking a brush and knocking off anything loose dust from the new material.
    Try to bevel the two pieces and I think you will be happier with the appearance.

Did not bevel. Just knocked the sharp edges off with the grinder, pushed them against each other and tacked then welded out.

Never thought of beveling 1/8" since it is already sort of thin.
    How much land should be left, or down to a point?
    Last edited by clint738; 04-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.

On 1/8 a bevel of less than 1/16 should be plenty. You are for sure able to get full pen with no bevel, I have just found if you are looking for a flatter look a little bevel helps.