Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default what grade of gasoline recommended?

New bobcat with kohler 23hp. Regular, mid grade or?

Did it come with a Kohler owners manual? It should be in there or I would call Kohler and talk to them. All gas today contains some alcohol so I wouldn't let it set in the machine to long.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 AM.

I run high grade in my 2011 model - try to get it somewhere that dont have alot
    of stuff in it
    The main thing is not to panic or get excited
    Bobcat 250, MM 211
    B&D,Meltabo,Milwaukee
    Porter Cable,Dewalt,Makita
    Harris,Airco
    Ingersoll-Rand
    Evolution Rage 2
    40 AMP Plasma

Everywhere around here is 10% ethanol. Used to be up until about a year ago you could go to Maryland just 10 minutes away and get clean gas but now its 10% too. I was thinking mid grade but I was also thinking too much octane would make it run hot. I'm gonna look in my manual when I get home

I wonder if the engine welders do well with fuel stabilizer additives? I've heard they help prevent some of the carb issues if fuel with ethanol sits in a carb too long.

With my old welders I always put a little Lucas fuel treatment in the gas. They all still run pretty good so I guess it doesn't hurt

We run regular with sta-bil year round in the 250 Bobcat and 302 Trailblazers. No issues .

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    With my old welders I always put a little Lucas fuel treatment in the gas. They all still run pretty good so I guess it doesn't hurt
    Lucas is good stuff by this fuel additive chart. intresting info on fuel additives.

http://fueltestkit.com/is_gas_additi..._e10_list.html

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    Everywhere around here is 10% ethanol. Used to be up until about a year ago you could go to Maryland just 10 minutes away and get clean gas but now its 10% too. I was thinking mid grade but I was also thinking too much octane would make it run hot. I'm gonna look in my manual when I get home
    Octane rating has zero correlation to engine or combustion temps. It's purely a measurement of knock resistance. I would run what the manufacture recommends.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.

When all else fails read your manual, says 87 octane minimum. Gas up to 10% ethyl alcohol, 90% unleaded is acceptable, E15,20&85 should not be used.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs