Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default what grade of gasoline recommended?

New bobcat with kohler 23hp. Regular, mid grade or?

Did it come with a Kohler owners manual? It should be in there or I would call Kohler and talk to them. All gas today contains some alcohol so I wouldn't let it set in the machine to long.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.

I run high grade in my 2011 model - try to get it somewhere that dont have alot
    of stuff in it
    The main thing is not to panic or get excited
    Bobcat 250, Extreme 12VS, MM 211
    Meltabo,Milwaukee, Porter Cable,Dewalt
    Victor O/A, Ingersoll-Rand
    Evolution Rage 2, 40 AMP Plasma

Everywhere around here is 10% ethanol. Used to be up until about a year ago you could go to Maryland just 10 minutes away and get clean gas but now its 10% too. I was thinking mid grade but I was also thinking too much octane would make it run hot. I'm gonna look in my manual when I get home

I wonder if the engine welders do well with fuel stabilizer additives? I've heard they help prevent some of the carb issues if fuel with ethanol sits in a carb too long.

With my old welders I always put a little Lucas fuel treatment in the gas. They all still run pretty good so I guess it doesn't hurt

We run regular with sta-bil year round in the 250 Bobcat and 302 Trailblazers. No issues .

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    With my old welders I always put a little Lucas fuel treatment in the gas. They all still run pretty good so I guess it doesn't hurt
    Lucas is good stuff by this fuel additive chart. intresting info on fuel additives.

http://fueltestkit.com/is_gas_additi..._e10_list.html

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    Everywhere around here is 10% ethanol. Used to be up until about a year ago you could go to Maryland just 10 minutes away and get clean gas but now its 10% too. I was thinking mid grade but I was also thinking too much octane would make it run hot. I'm gonna look in my manual when I get home
    Octane rating has zero correlation to engine or combustion temps. It's purely a measurement of knock resistance. I would run what the manufacture recommends.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.

When all else fails read your manual, says 87 octane minimum. Gas up to 10% ethyl alcohol, 90% unleaded is acceptable, E15,20&85 should not be used.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs