Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frozen bearing

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I use a plasma cutter, pretty easy, just have to have a fire extinguisher handy, one the bearing shell is off, the bearings or rollers come off, then all I do is heat the bearing collar with the plasma, and out it comes
    I do you heat the collar with a plasma? I might use this process if it is easier then a oxy/ace torch or rosebud or tiger torch.

Cut off the outer race with whatever, then cut the inner race almost through in a few spots and it will pop off. I have also used a cutting torch, and a plasma to scarf off the race. Once the inner race get good and hot in one spot it will generally come off easily. Want to work fast so as to not put too much heat into the spindle/shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I do you heat the collar with a plasma? I might use this process if it is easier then a oxy/ace torch or rosebud or tiger torch.
    Easier and safer than anything else I've tryed and it doesn't scar the $$ shaft. Gotta be on the lookout for grease fires though

Easier and safer than anything else I've tryed and it doesn't scar the $$ shaft. Gotta be on the lookout for grease fires though
    But how do you heat the collar with the plasma? I'd like to know, if it's easier to heat with it I might try it next time I have to do it. I didn't know you could heat steel with a plasma torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    But how do you heat the collar with the plasma? I'd like to know, if it's easier to heat with it I might try it next time I have to do it. I didn't know you could heat steel with a plasma torch.
    Just stike the arc and move the plasma head around the collar, heats it up pretty fast.

Just stike the arc and move the plasma head around the collar, heats it up pretty fast.
    I'm going to try this next time, beats gouging it out, would be good on small collar.

Originally Posted by cruizer

Thank you for the hint.

air p.s.i. lowered ? and torch to surface distance increased ? amperage?

I don't know how long the tip would last, they seem to burn quickly.