Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frozen bearing

Default frozen bearing

I need help, I am trying to remove a bearing froma shaft ,very little access to it and I would like to save it and the shaft , I need to add that I tried a 3 jaw puller to no avail and there are 16 of these at 2500.00 a pop please help . would dry ice help?

Quote Originally Posted by SNUNEZ View Post
    I need help, I am trying to remove a bearing froma shaft ,very little access to it and I would like to save it and the shaft , I need to add that I tried a 3 jaw puller to no avail and there are 16 of these at 2500.00 a pop please help . would dry ice help?
    Not much to go on here, "very little access to it" perhaps if you could post a photo of what your dealing with, someone could provide a useful solution.

Clean shaft, heat frozen bearing race and remove. If you didn't need to save the bearing, I would cut the outer and inner races and peel it off the shaft.

A picture would be a real help. What type of bearing are you dealing wtih?
    Some bearings will bind on the shaft when you pull on the outer race.
    Dry ice can sometimes be a help. Liquid propane used to work, but not so much any more. It doesn't seem the same.
    Jeff

turbo38t Guest

Yea.....a pic would work wonders. How big is the bearing/shaft? $2500 a pop sounds pretty big to me.....If I could I would remove the shaft and use a shop press.....

Is it possible you could use a slice wheel and cut short of all the way through the bearing's race.

Also could try putting some pentrating oil on the bearing and with a piece of brass against the end of the shaft hit it with an air hammer. I'm thinking the shaft is out of what ever it was in and on the work bench.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-01-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Smile are there too many zeros?

As others said a picture would help and a 2500.00 bearing is something to show.

Default So, What happened?

Did the bearings get pulled, cut, project bailed on, or what?
    Jeff

I use a plasma cutter, pretty easy, just have to have a fire extinguisher handy, one the bearing shell is off, the bearings or rollers come off, then all I do is heat the bearing collar with the plasma, and out it comes

bearing puller with heat will help, keep heating and cooling to get it unfrozen. a hammer to the race, with heat and the bearing puller should shock it loose.