Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question No voltage at all...

Goodmorning to all anyone to give me and idea or tell me what to do..I have a blue star 185 /6000watts on the generator side have been put down for little over a year starting very good but not welding or giving out any volts ..any by the way I am new to the forum and this is my first post ..

Welcome to the forum.
    Can not help with your trouble, someone will chime in.

Did you check your manuals for any fuses inside .

Default No voltage

Yes I did check for fuses and other things that I know that will cause it not to get current I also check the comatator and check brushes .

Only thing I could think to do is start at the back of one of the 120v resepticals with a multimeter and start back tracking the wires back up through the wiring see if they get hot anywhere maybe a bad wire or connection hopefully if your not comfortable with that check continuity all the way back

Default No voltage

Ok thanks I will do that ..hope that help...

I'm no expert but it seems unlikely that both the welding circuit and the generator circuit would fail at the same time, I would look at the slip rings again. check that you have continuity between the brush connections and the slip rings. Check them independantly. That is remove one brush to check the other, and check the rotor windings for continuity and that it is not shorted. This as you know is Miller's advice:"Have Factory Authorized Service Agent check brushes, slip rings, rotor, stator, integrated rectifier SR2, and Weld Output control R1." If you are not comfortable or do not know how to make these checks then I would suggest you take the advice and take it to a reputable service person. Good Luck.
    Meltedmetal

On my old bobcat 225 g plus it had a main fuse slo blo if it didn't have good contact in fuse holder your weren't going to weld or use the generator .

Default No voltage

Thanks meltedmetal I did check the stuff u mention with exception of the rectifier I have to go back and do that thanks again. Stone.

Default No voltage.

Ok. I check to see if that's ok also thanks kpack thanks...