Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Setting Up A Mill

I purchased a new mill last week and since then I have spent my time just getting it out of the crate and into position. Very heavy.
    With the new Anglock vice bolted on and aligned it was time to mill up some Tee nuts. I am using some 20mm x 20mm 6060 aluminium. These nuts will not be used to hold anything down. They will be used to fix an aluminium bed cover plate. That way I can place tools on top of the bed without damaging it and just in case things go wrong and I drop a surfacing tool it will only hurt the cover plate. I call it the no tears cover plate.

I know there is no welding yet but there will be soon.

Ji
    [/COLOR]
    Setup1.jpgSetup2.jpgSetup3.jpgSetup4.jpgSetup5.jpg[COLOR="#000080"]
    Last edited by Jigantor; 03-28-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Grip it and Rip it

Cleaned all the chips out of the Tee slots.
    Oiled the bed.
    Scribed a curve and cut it out.
    Drilled some holes and bolted it down.
    Looking great.

This should stop the bed from rusting, stop the slots from filling up with chips and protect the bed from tool impact.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Made a tool holder with the limited time I had left.
    I will improve it tomorrow.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Looks good.

How are going to mount vise, etc? Remove plate?
    cg
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Thanks for the kind words Kev

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I use clear plexiglass on my mill bed. Bolting a plate on your table will collect moisture that you can't see and rust your table very fast and you won't even know it. The plexiglass has been on my mill for ten years and works great

Happy Easter all !
    I drove over to Carba-tec this morning and picked up a circle cutter.
    Back in the workshop I had to make another tool holder for the collet spanner, anglock vice wrench and draw bar hammer.
    A part from the wrench the other two required a 40mm and 35mm diametre holes. Plenty of ways to do this but I wanted to see how this new circle cutter would go.
    Real fast and real good.
    Durring the first hole the bit came lose so stopped the mill and tightened it and no more issues.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Second tool tray mounted.
    Just have to find out what more I want and mill the holes or slots.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

All the tools are mounted.
    Just waiting for the next tool purchase to mill some more positions.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it