Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Weldonwelding, In my 29 years of welding I have never used a needle scaler, I've looked at them, Just never got off the cash for one, Do you use it for other things other than chipping slag.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Weldonwelding, In my 29 years of welding I have never used a needle scaler, I've looked at them, Just never got off the cash for one, Do you use it for other things other than chipping slag.
    I too finally bought one after 35 years of welding. But i work in a shop thats all gas fluxcore and sometimes you just can't swing a chipper in the welded pockets...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I bought mine at harbor freight. Got the mini and full size, I use the mini the most. It was about 30 bucks and I have went thru 2 of them in about 5 yrs. The name brands are around 150 bucks. I use them for rust, slag, chipping gouges, and paint. When I drag my leads out I also drag my air hose out, its just become a habit. If you try it I guarantee you will never use a chipping hammer again.... the one thing ya gotta be careful with is beating up the welds, you can make a fresh hot weld look pretty crappy if you use the scaler excessively

I barely use a chipper because no one looks and I an a one pass kind of welder. A needle saler is a must have tool, I can live without a gouger. I had one, lost it in a fire, had to borrow one once and finally Rocky D and I each bought one from a classified on Hobart for some super cheap price, havnt used it.

I will agree it has its place in small sizes. If there was a market here its something I would have been interested in setting up, 600A arc gouger and big azz feeder, even in general work never use it though, so handy with a torch to do common demo work for the short time its not worth the extra equipment. Kind of stuff I do a feeder doesnt help, if I really want to get after it I will chuck in a big ole rod.

I am going to agree with owning a scaler, if you dont have it you needed one 30 yrs ago, is a must tool for rust, slag removal too. Portable Welder should own a couple. Easy.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-30-2013 at 02:45 PM.