Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well here's mine... if I blow it up they will replace it. And if your leaving a carbon deposit you need more practice with a carbon.

Hi, Just interested, You certainly seem to know what you are doing with the air arc gouging' Could you post pictures or hints on how to accomplish the technique for doing it? How much air doe's it need? I have a 9 hp honda wheelbarrow type 18cfm compressor Would that be enough?
    Thanks' Joe,

A repair shop will determine if you get a replacement. And its not terribly difficult to find out what happened, so good luck with that idea...

Weldonwelding, I run gas compressors on my 2 rigs.

I cannot comment on the Bobcat because I have never ran one but our Trail Blazer runs 3/16 carbons without a problem and I run 1/4" on my rig and I have a 2001 Pipe pro.

I run the 1/4" at about 350 amps ( Keep in mind I have 150' of lead on each side so its a 300' loop ) So its probably closer to 325 amps figuring a 25 amp loss.

I'll have to look at my book tomorrow to see if Miller has a size reccomendation for carbons.

If you have a extra large auxillary air tank I think you could get by with a electric compressor.

I can see Cruizers side of things, He always sees the machines when they have been driven past their duty cycle.

So my question to Cruizer is : If we truly follow the duty cycle rating would it be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Weldonwelding, I run gas compressors on my 2 rigs.

I cannot comment on the Bobcat because I have never ran one but our Trail Blazer runs 3/16 carbons without a problem and I run 1/4" on my rig and I have a 2001 Pipe pro.

I run the 1/4" at about 350 amps ( Keep in mind I have 150' of lead on each side so its a 300' loop ) So its probably closer to 325 amps figuring a 25 amp loss.

I'll have to look at my book tomorrow to see if Miller has a size reccomendation for carbons.

If you have a extra large auxillary air tank I think you could get by with a electric compressor.

I can see Cruizers side of things, He always sees the machines when they have been driven past their duty cycle.

So my question to Cruizer is : If we truly follow the duty cycle rating would it be okay.
    You'll be in duty if you never turn the fine control past 3/4 turn

Well... I got to gouge with the 250 this afternoon with 3/16 carbons. I started out like usual with the machine full blast, I had to turn it down a bit... I tested on a piece of 1/4" steel on a couple vertical weaves and it blew completely through.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer welder:304687
    Hi, Just interested, You certainly seem to know what you are doing with the air arc gouging' Could you post pictures or hints on how to accomplish the technique for doing it? How much air doe's it need? I have a 9 hp honda wheelbarrow type 18cfm compressor Would that be enough?
    Thanks' Joe,
    Get a good regulator, keep it around 90psi. Mostly where people go wrong with gouging is the direction and pressure of the air. Always keep the air closest to the metal, when the metal carbons over its not due to the amps of the machine... Its because the air is blowing back into the puddle. Your compressor is plenty enough for gouging out welds and plate up to about 3/8" thick steel. The main thing with gouging like anything else is to practice and every time you change position remember to follow with the air direction

It helps with a small comp to be thrifty with the air, I hit the button when its not needed and dont dodder. It can be done. And you need a gas comp.

I checked my catolog and they dont recommend gouging with the 225 or 3 phase Bobcat.

They show that you can air arc with the Bobcat 250 with 3/16" and it also says
    ( Capable 1/4" carbons ) I take that as not recommended but capable.

Just watch your duty cycle.

As far as carbon build up,Whenever doing multi pass gouging it is common to grind between passes when you have a problem restarting the arc.

Always grind all welding surfaces prior to welding to remove the carbon.

Weldonwelding, I'm sure you know this but I wanted to mention this to others just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder:304721
    I checked my catolog and they dont recommend gouging with the 225 or 3 phase Bobcat.

They show that you can air arc with the Bobcat 250 with 3/16" and it also says
    ( Capable 1/4" carbons ) I take that as not recommended but capable.

Just watch your duty cycle.

As far as carbon build up,Whenever doing multi pass gouging it is common to grind between passes when you have a problem restarting the arc.

Always grind all welding surfaces prior to welding to remove the carbon.

Weldonwelding, I'm sure you know this but I wanted to mention this to others just in case.
    A needle scaler is one of my favorite tools, I use em on every thing. I'm not even sure if I own a chipping hammer anymore