Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Help with Lap joint on 1/2" plate

Let me start by saying I don't know what is best when doing stick welding since I don't do a lot of it so please be kind. I am about to weld some W8x24 beams to 8"x8" anchor plates with a lap joint and going to use a gas powered SMAW machine. What type and size rod would be best for this application and would multi passes be required or is there a rod that is large enough that a single pass would do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only person that can be considered ignorant is the one that knows that they don't know and doesn't ask some one who does.

An answer would depend on your machine current output and welding position.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

I would run 5/32 6010 first pass around the beams 1/4" web and 3/8 flanges and use either 1/8 or 5/32 7018 to complete the fillet welds.

I don't understand where lap joints are going?

I'm thinking the 1/2" anchor plates will be welded to the end of the W8X24 beams and be bolted to a floor or another beam.

I don't understand where lap joints are going?

I'm thinking the 1/2" anchor plates will be welded to the end of the W8X24 beams and be bolted to a floor or another beam.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking they will be lap joints because he said these are to be beams, not columns.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Thanks chewinggum for trying to straighten me out but I still don't get it. South Carolina people are the best, never ran across one that wasn't polite and helpful.

Do you have a home made BBQ? I wish I could come down and eat some South Carolina BBQ with ya, tackit

Default More Explaination

There will be W8x24 beams spanning 20' and resting on 1'x1' columns.
    under the beams will be anchor plates 8"x8"x1/2" that the beams will sit on
    and need to be weldedDetail.jpg

I hope this is more clear.

The weld you show in your drawing could be made with 5/32 E7018 electrodes. Your drawings should specify how large the fillet/lap weld bead should be. They should also tell you the extent of welding, 100%, or some kind of intermittent stitch weld. If the drawings do not specify the size of the weld needed, then the best guess would be to make them the same size as the thickness of the plate, or 1/2". You could do this with 2 or better 3 passes.

This weld could be made with E7024 and/or a larger diameter electrode if you need to work faster and if the welding machine will supply enough current for larger electrodes. Check your electrode supplier's website for recommended amperage settings.

My recommendations assume the beams and plates are typical structural steel, and not a higher strength material. If they are something unusual, then you will need to ask what strength/type filler metal to use.

Quote Originally Posted by rpberchtold View Post
    There will be W8x24 beams spanning 20' and resting on 1'x1' columns.
    under the beams will be anchor plates 8"x8"x1/2" that the beams will sit on
    and need to be weldedDetail.jpg

I hope this is more clear.
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Default Help with lap joint on 1/2" plate.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DAB_will_do View Post
    The weld you show in your drawing could be made with 5/32 E7018 electrodes. Your drawings should specify how large the fillet/lap weld bead should be. They should also tell you the extent of welding, 100%, or some kind of intermittent stitch weld. If the drawings do not specify the size of the weld needed, then the best guess would be to make them the same size as the thickness of the plate, or 1/2". You could do this with 2 or better 3 passes.

This weld could be made with E7024 and/or a larger diameter electrode if you need to work faster and if the welding machine will supply enough current for larger electrodes. Check your electrode supplier's website for recommended amperage settings.

My recommendations assume the beams and plates are typical structural steel, and not a higher strength material. If they are something unusual, then you will need to ask what strength/type filler metal to use.
    Thanks for your help, as far as I know there is no special material to worry about, (But I well check to be sure) and the drawings have no specs on the thickness of the weld and therefore it makes since to match the weld metal.
    So I will proceed with what makes since
    and to satisfy my need for over kill do a complete multi pass fillet the length of the weld.

Thanks Again for your reply.

It is nice to have a community of pros who are willing to help when you face something new. God Speed/