Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default So my Diversion 165 is making me money but.....

I will definitely be moving up to another Dynasty 200 or 350......I am making a custom computer desk that houses all the components. The top is 3/16 with 3/16 tabs(5000 series aluminum) and although I successfully welded them on the Diversion did not like it. It worked but I had it floored just to establish a puddle. Great on small stuff though just need some more umphhhh....will update with a couple pics...

I'd definitelty like to see your pics either on the thread or PM if you don't mind. Think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway - would using a my thunderbolt 225 with a scratch start field set up give more penetration that a Diversion 165?

Yeah....I went back to TIG last night and have the bug to continue practicing this type for a while....but curious about the equipment.....thx.
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

turbo38t Guest

If anyone wants pics email me at turbo38t@gmail.com ....easier that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    I'd definitelty like to see your pics either on the thread or PM if you don't mind. Think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway - would using a my thunderbolt 225 with a scratch start field set up give more penetration that a Diversion 165?

Yeah....I went back to TIG last night and have the bug to continue practicing this type for a while....but curious about the equipment.....thx.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post

Nope, even give you a crappy weld when you did get it started. T-bolt never designed to be a tig welder. Though your welcome to try.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Nope, even give you a crappy weld when you did get it started. T-bolt never designed to be a tig welder. Though your welcome to try.
    hmmm, interesting and thx for the feedback. I guess I am getting contradicting advice on this, and/or am severely misunderstanding the whole field tig setup - was under the impression from threads here and discussions outside of the forum that a stick welder can be used as a DC scratch start tig welder...i.e. the unit I have would work - glad I haven't bought a torch kit yet - will just need to do more research.
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Yes you can rig a stick welder like a TBolt to Tig with if you have the correct gear. I've never done it but I've seen it done. Chucke2009 has some old videos on it on YouTube.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    Yes you can rig a stick welder like a TBolt to Tig with if you have the correct gear. I've never done it but I've seen it done. Chucke2009 has some old videos on it on YouTube.
    Well, of course you can make anything do anything, I've seen it, but the weld and arc is crappy, still need a HF box to run ALuminum and zero remote capability. Extra bonus is that your using over twice the input power to get there.

From 1989 till 1999 i used the thunderbolt as a tig welder scratch start at first and then added a dayton hi freq box never did aluminum. It worked ok trying to get the amperage right was trying at times as the thunderbolt had the adjustment crank on the top 1988 model. When i bought the maxstar 152 in 1999 night and day difference but when i put the tig together in 89 it was a cheap way to get started. Today there are so many options why even try

Well, of course you can make anything do anything, I've seen it, but the weld and arc is crappy, still need a HF box to run ALuminum and zero remote capability. Extra bonus is that your using over twice the input power to get there.[/QUOTE]

Ever welded aluminum with DC rev polarity? It works surprisingly well, you have to step up to the biggest tungsten your torch will hold but it works in a pinch. I did it with an old Lincoln AC/DC tombstone and with my Max star. Before I tried it I argued that it would never work but after I tried it I changed my mind

Default Beating my dog :-)

[QUOTE=cruizer;304649]Well, of course you can make anything do anything, ..... QUOTE]

Ever since Cruizer said this I've been beating my coon hound trying to get her to lay a golden egg.

Not having any luck making "anything do anything" but I did run across the old video from Chucke2009 on YouTube I mentioned before. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKstOZSZug

Cruizer is right about one thing though; this ain't the way to tig if you have better options.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42