Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cor-Ten Steel

Default Cor-Ten Steel

Building a sign for my company with the company name and logo cut out in 1/8" Cor-Ten (weathering) steel. It will be 2-sided with a layer of stainless steel in the middle with a 1 1/2" gap between each plate. Since weathering steel comes in a non rusted state, it might take a while for the sign to rust and it just won't look right until it reaches its rusted state. Any recommendations to speed up this process?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Cool

Muratic Acid will speed it up...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

A mixture of salt, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide may do it.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    A mixture of salt, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide may do it.
    You may not even need the vinegar and peroxide. I know sea water causes steel to rust pretty quickly, so salt water alone may be enough to get the desired results. You might want to give it a fresh water rinse after it starts to rust to the way you want it to, either with the salt water or muriatic treatment described above.

http://www.corten.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

according to this information website, just wet and leave exposed. Periodically re-wet. Also see notes about suitability for various environments. I would hesitate to use any muratic acid, vinegar or other chemicals to try and accelerate the rusting process.

A more in-depth search of the internet might yield more info.

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    Building a sign for my company with the company name and logo cut out in 1/8" Cor-Ten (weathering) steel. It will be 2-sided with a layer of stainless steel in the middle with a 1 1/2" gap between each plate. Since weathering steel comes in a non rusted state, it might take a while for the sign to rust and it just won't look right until it reaches its rusted state. Any recommendations to speed up this process?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

For many years, I was involved with a very compentent sheetmetal worker, who worked with cor-ten often. When he wanted to speed up the "rust look", just threw salt water on in. Not complicated.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Apple Cider Vinegar in a Hudson sprayer or spray bottle.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Hydrogen peroxide, cheap, readily available, and not acidic. spray it on full strength.

How does Cor ten weld, say compared to mild steel? Just curious, as I have never worked with it.

Default where to find?

Where do you find Cor-Ten? I asked a Steel supplier if he carried it and they looked at me with big eyes. They had no idea what I was talking about, or what it was... Of course, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.