Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Syncrowave 200 operating (switching) question

A placard on the welder says not to switch between welding processes under load. To me that means someone would have to be welding with the machine while another switches, say from AC to stick, etc.
    This doesn't mean you have to turn the machine completely off to switch does it? Idle to me does not mean "under load".
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

yep, switching under load means some jack ass switching polarities as you weld. Big boom will result. Now, its not nessessary turning the machine off when switching at idle. That said, the unit is always maintaining an internal charge, that drains through a set of resistors. I like to turn the machine off, cause imedately the system has time to drain in that split second of turning the machine off. This is especially important withthe CC/CV machines. switchining quickly into CC from CV. Those banked caps have zero time to discharge and usually takes out your selector switch in a quick fashion.

Default Syncrowave 200 operating (switching) question

Would hesitating between selections have the same effect as turning the machine off ?
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln