Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default been meaning to do this for years

20130317_130656.jpg20130320_135416.jpg20130320_135756.jpgAs I aquire more tools and hear of more people having their stuff stolen, I finally decided it was time to make a more secure door for my shop.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nice job Nick. Fortunately for me theft hasn't been a big problem here yet. I've had gas stolen, and an engine out of a snowmobile but both were outside unprotected. I think I know where they went but the guy is dead now. No not me, karma. I think it's almost impossible and usually impractical to get 100% secure. If they want it bad eough they'll get it. If they would work half as hard at a legitimate job they'd make twice as much. Must be a character flaw. What if someone backed up to that door, threw a chain though it hooked to their pickup and pulled the door frame out of the wall? Just playing devil's advocate with that. I think the best security is a good dog and a bad reputation. Mine and the dog's.
    Meltedmetal

I know if someome really is determined to get in, they will. But this will slow them down enough for me to go out and beat the ever lovin crap out of them....and I will and it will all be on video.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

I agree with Meltedmetal, and want to add alittle more to it. A career thief may see this new security door as a challenge, and break into it just to prove he can. It may also signal to him that now there may be something on the other side that is worth protecting/stealing. So he may now do it figuring on making a bigger haul for his efforts. If the positions of the doors were reversed, with the solid door on the outside, and security door inside, the thief may never notice a difference and not even bother.
    It looks like you did a fine job on the construction of it, except I would have run the vertical pieces all the way to the top and bottom. If you could change the door positions it may be better overall. I can see the solid door swings inward, and it was just easier to do it this way, but it draws more unwanted attention now, that there may be something valuable on the inside. Might want to give some consideration to swapping their positions. Just sayin'.

I have thought about what you're saying. Does a security door say there is some good stuff here? Don't know. Or could it say, it will be too much trouble, let's move on to something easier. I had even thought about painting the door white to blend in. I thought, screw it. This is mine. I'll show you I have secured it. I have a sign as you come in my drive saying "you are on video" which they are. If they don't get that, they are stupid as most thieves are and don't care. Then everyone that has pi$$ed me off in my life will be taken out on them. Badda bing, badda boom.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I know if someome really is determined to get in, they will. But this will slow them down enough for me to go out and beat the ever lovin crap out of them....and I will and it will all be on video.
    Your right about that. For practical purposes it is about making it difficult enough that they will go bother somebody else. We have some geniuses here that passed a by-law making it illegal to install outdoor surveillance cameras, put bars on first floor windows, install bulletproof glass and put bulletproof panels in your walls. The logic behind it was supposed to be that the biker gangs were building bunkers with all of the above making it difficult to surprise them in a raid. I'm sure the gangs have removed all of the above stuff right after they got home from registering all their guns and if you believe that I have a real deal on a bridge in Brooklyn.
    Hope it has the desired effect and no one comes knocking who shouldn't.
    Meltedmetal

Theft ?? I thought it was to keep wife out.

last July someone kicked my back door in just like you have there and stole a bunch of tools and other personal stuff in my house . the cops told me if you don't use your door just board it up and don't use it any more . i didn't want to do that so i put a more secure door in and a bar so it can't be kicked in again . be real **** careful about who you let in your shop last summer i was remodeling my kitchen and had a few people i didn't know working on my house i have to think it was one of them but of course no one was ever caught . the cops "don't get me started on those guys ". the thieves like power tools and air tools they can hawk them easy so keep that in mind guys . they don't like anything with serial numbers ie. welders , computers ,TV's, stereos .just some food for thought .

I don't think the door looks like an inviting challenge, plenty of bar type doors around just not built like this one. Crooks have busted off too many of the store bought ones to even think twice about it. This one will slow em down.

If I didn't want the inner door to open I would use the fence to hide a long bar that could be slid from the outside in behind the door on a track or guide. Then put a good locking system on the bar outside hidden behind the fence. It will take a long time to defeat what can't be seen.

Wouldn't be something to use unless your not going in and out for a time.