Let me start by saying I don't know what is best when doing stick welding since I don't do a lot of it so please be kind. I am about to weld some W8x24 beams to 8"x8" anchor plates with a lap joint and going to use a gas powered SMAW machine. What type and size rod would be best for this application and would multi passes be required or is there a rod that is large enough that a single pass would do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only person that can be considered ignorant is the one that knows that they don't know and doesn't ask some one who does.