Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: E-Track

Default E-Track

Anybody use E-Track for securing things?

I have been installing it in my trailer and so far really like it. I haven't actually used it yet so I thought I would ask some opinions, maybe something to be mindful of.

I'm trying to put in a piece of equipment, then place track for it keeping in mind how much room power will need and where the loads will be.

It came to mind today what if I wanted to carry the big gas bottles, I planned on the small 80 size but not the 225's. So they might be laid down unless I build a rack and strap to the tracks. What works for that?

I have a bunch of e-track in my trailer. I only use it on the walls. It works great. I use it for holding a free standing shelf unit to the wall, hanging all my cables, hoses, etc & securing my gas bottles (5) to the wall. My welder & compressor are bolted to the floor.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Got some on the floor and walls in my work trailer. Tons of flexibility on strapping locations and super strong.

Do you use anything else to help with the gas bottles? One strap in the middle or 1 high and 1 low?

I think I'm going to like the stuff.

I use 2 straps. The lower e-track is 7.5" from floor to center & the upper is 27.5" from floor to center of e-track. I run the strap from the e-track tie off fitting

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...b?cm_vc=-10005

around two bottles through two of these.0326031711.jpg One on either side of the middle bottle & then around the othe two bottles to another tie off ring.

0326031710.jpg0326031711.jpg0326031712.jpg0326031713.jpg

This way each strap is connected in four places on the e-track.
    Last edited by MMW; 03-26-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

The trailer place by me sells short lengths of e-track for pretty cheap. They get them when they do a trailer & then have random length short pcs. left over which they sell below normal price.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I use E track in both of my cargo trailers. I put strips of it on the floor and be sure it is bolted THROUGH the floor to a cross member for strength, otherwise all you have is the strength of the floor holding the stuff. If the track is fastened to something pretty strong and you fasten cargo down well, you'd about have to be hit by a train to have stuff go flying around or falling over. I do like enclosed cargo trailers to keep stuff out of sight of itchy fingers and out of the weather.......also gives me someplace to get out of crappy weather and I have camped in them in a pinch. The only ways an open trailer beats enclosed is if you need to load really tall stuff or load with a crane or hoist from above. The trouble with enclosed trailers is that if your cargo is falling over on itself, you can't see it like you can in an open trailer. But then that tends to make you fasten it down better!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I use 2 straps. The lower e-track is 7.5" from floor to center & the upper is 27.5" from floor to center of e-track. I run the strap from the e-track tie off fitting

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...b?cm_vc=-10005

around two bottles through two of these.0326031711.jpg One on either side of the middle bottle & then around the othe two bottles to another tie off ring.

0326031710.jpg0326031711.jpg0326031712.jpg0326031713.jpg

This way each strap is connected in four places on the e-track.
    Nice, thanks for the pics. Northen Tools had the rings on sale past weekend, I got a bunch and some J hooks. What I see in your pics is exactly what I was asking.

I 'll send a PM

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    I use E track in both of my cargo trailers. I put strips of it on the floor and be sure it is bolted THROUGH the floor to a cross member for strength, otherwise all you have is the strength of the floor holding the stuff. If the track is fastened to something pretty strong and you fasten cargo down well, you'd about have to be hit by a train to have stuff go flying around or falling over. I do like enclosed cargo trailers to keep stuff out of sight of itchy fingers and out of the weather.......also gives me someplace to get out of crappy weather and I have camped in them in a pinch. The only ways an open trailer beats enclosed is if you need to load really tall stuff or load with a crane or hoist from above. The trouble with enclosed trailers is that if your cargo is falling over on itself, you can't see it like you can in an open trailer. But then that tends to make you fasten it down better!
    Don, I was thinking about a hammock, LOL really. I don't see me camping in it but maybe a nap would be nice.

Do you actually work inside your trailer? I started looking for a 5x8 but the guys said you'll want bigger so I settled on a 6x12, still that will fill up fast.

I guess when I figure the load I'll have to ride in it and see what is actually going on. I want to know how much abuse my Tig will be put through on the factory hand truck cart with those hard wheels.