Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

I'm not dogging on trailblazers but if you want to compare, compare to Lincolns air cooled 2 cylinder machines not a larger heavier machine made to crank out amps day after hard day for years on end. Compare a Vantage to the equivelent Miller.

I can go to the Dodge dealer and buy a half ton pickup with a hemi making 390 HP or I can buy a 1 ton with a Cummins making 350 HP. Looks good on paper but guess which one will live longer grossing 11,000 lb every day and towing another 15,000-20,000? Not a valid comparison, it's apples and cheeseburgers.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Weldonwelding,

I missed a bunch of what you said to JT, It was deleted by the time I came back to this post.

I tried giving you some advise about a crane on the truck in another post just to have you tell me that you dont need one even though You say you weld on heavy equipment.

I started welding out of my garage in 1986, Got a welding truck in 1988 and then a shop by 1989 so that 27 years of experience.
    So I dont understand why you would say that you dont need a crane when we are both in the same kind of business and I use mine at least once a week and sometimes every day depending on what job we are doing.

So now I read all of this and see your trying to tell a Highly respected member such as JTMc that he's wrong. ( Keep in mind I have to read between the lines because most everything has been deleted ).

I hope this can be a lesson learned that with you only having 3 years of business experience that you should listen to some of us guys that have decades of experience and are willing to give you good advise ( For Free )
    Trust me when JTMc and I got started out there was no INTERNET and no free advise.
    In my case I had no one to learn from other than when I would run into a veteran at the welding supply house that I might ask a question to and you can bet I was very polite and kept my ears open ( There were also a couple welding shops that I would get steel from that might also give me a tip or 2 from time to time.)
    And you can bet that 98% of it was trial and error with my hood down.

WeldonWelding, You have alot of guys here with alot of knowlege, use it to your benefit and try to be a little more respectful. Good luck.

Portable Welder you didn't miss much, some teenage wannabee posturing:

"weldonwelding said:

Uninformed... no. Experienced. ''The numbers'' what numbers...? I dont get my info or "my numbers" from googling it and comparing on a website. I run my own welding/fabricating buisiness that is doing very well. And i have also worked for a few of the very best shops in my area. Most of my work is hourly since most of my work is equipment repair. Though some of my very best work is done in your mothers pantys while i pay her with crack"

The other post's that he deleted were just more of the same, nothing new.
    Like you said there was no interwebs when we started. No "google". I've got a drawer full of stop watches I've worn out timing welds/material handling/and material prep. That's how you get proper bidding skills in my opinion. I'm happy to report that wristwatches are common now for several years with a stop watch function built in. I use mine every day.
    I've also got a file cabinet full of real world completed job times on everything from unloading material to crating finished product. A ton of weld times, that's where I make my living. If you can't quote it you can't make money.
    So you really didn't miss much, except we now know that weldonwelder doesn't know how to spell panties.

He deleted his posts and continues to put himself out as an expertlike "coming up on 3 years on my own" welder guy on other topics. Go figgure. Water seeks it's own level. And some people never grow up.

Hope you're having a good year.

Know anybody that want's to buy a small Peterbilt with 10,000 lb crane? Wireless crane remote, has two Lincoln 500 amp machines (will sell without machines). Also several LN-25's with FC and dual shield guns, track torches, beveling machines, a ton of hand tools from wrenches to 1" titanium impact wrenches. One 500A machine is a AirVantage w/screw compressor. Air arcs, lot of 4-0 lead, lot's of air hose, Lincolns biggest plasma w/65' lead on the gun.

A long time friend of mine is retiring, he only bought the best and maintained it like a proud father.
    He REALLY did work on heavy equipment : ) All or part, contact me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post

He deleted his posts and continues to put himself out as an expertlike "coming up on 3 years on my own" welder guy on other topics. Go figgure. Water seeks it's own level. And some people never grow up.
    Very well put.

When jack-offs like him start with the "your momma" BS it's just the sign of a weak mind trying to express itsself, put 'em on the ignore list & they just dry up and blow away !
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Bringing anybody's momma into a conversation on a welding board is comepletely going over the line.... In any case, anybody who deletes previous posts wholesale, like just happened here, is a weinie. I always thought any "real man" would be willing to say what he thought, say what he means, then stand by his words. I have never been a fan of Arnold (our late great ex-governer, a weinie himself), but he did have one good descriptive term that seems very appropriate right now ....... "girley men".
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Bringing anybody's momma into a conversation on a welding board is comepletely going over the line.... In any case, anybody who deletes previous posts wholesale, like just happened here, is a weinie. I always thought any "real man" would be willing to say what he thought, say what he means, then stand by his words. I have never been a fan of Arnold (our late great ex-governer, a weinie himself), but he did have one good descriptive term that seems very appropriate right now ....... "girley men".

Little boys tend to think they are all bad a$$. They also tend to think they are anonomous behind the keyboard.
    Girly man works well here.

John

weldinwelding continues on, he's seen it all, done it all, knows it all. He's an expert on robotic (got me there, I know nothing about robotic but I've done LARGE Komatsu boom repairs off of Komatsu prints that were big enough that we put a window air conditioner blowin into the boom and powered it off the light plant after we cut it apart, it was hot weather and a LOTof welding had to be done from the inside):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...277#post307277

he knows the bestest/smoothest welders ever made, after all he's coming up on three years on his own (never run an old DC generator I guess):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...175#post307175

And he knows all about 5p, what does that have to do with "heavy equipmet"? (shame on us for making xray pressure pipe welds with old 6010/7010/8010, if only he'd told me earlier : )):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...172#post307172

Oh, the humanity. He'll never go away, he's the bestest ever, ALMOST three years dude!
    5,773 views and counting.

John

Default vantage 300

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    A Vantage 300 will put out about 400A all day every day for many years. A V400 will put out over 500A all day every day for many years.
    Those machines have industrial 4 cyl diesels that go well over 10,000 hrs before the first overhaul. Comparing them to a Trailblazer is just goofy.

I'm not knocking trailblazers but you are talking about two completely different class' of equipment here just like a komatsu home tractor vs a caterpillar.

Both Vantages will power your RV while welding 100% duty cycle at 385A and only need fuel every 3 days or so.

J

I'll add that the trailblazer guys will be here soon, telling you it'll do it all.
    My only take is that they aren't doing it 60+ hrs/week or they'd buy a bigger machine with a industrial diesel.
    I have air arc off a vantage 300 and i was not impressed with the amp outputs, vantage 400 another story. Also it is highly unlikely to get 10000 hrs out of a 22hp kubota. Also most are not running 60hrs a week on there welder, running at full output. Im a own my own heavy equipment repair business, and weld about 10 percent of the time, out of that 5 percent is over 200 amps. For someone to invest in a 10k welder then put it on an f550 is folish in my mind. If i do heavy welding most times it becomes a shop job, now keep in mind im not working on mining equipment, examples of my work would be d5-d7, 120-450 backhoes, skid steers, basic equipment in road construction, or land devlopment. No one in my area runs a vantage, or larger style welder on a service truck for heavy equipment repair simply to big, and not needed. If someone showed up on a jobsite with a vantage 400 but without a crane they would be kicked off before the vantage ever was started.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

[QUOTE=Tryagn5;307375]I have air arc off a vantage 300 and i was not impressed with the amp outputs, vantage 400 another story. Also it is highly unlikely to get 10000 hrs out of a 22hp kubota. Also most are not running 60hrs a week on there welder, running at full output. Im a own my own heavy equipment repair business, and weld about 10 percent of the time, out of that 5 percent is over 200 amps. For someone to invest in a 10k welder then put it on an f550 is folish in my mind. If i do heavy welding most times it becomes a shop job, now keep in mind im not working on mining equipment, examples of my work would be d5-d7, 120-450 backhoes, skid steers, basic equipment in road construction, or land devlopment. No one in my area runs a vantage, or larger style welder on a service truck for heavy equipment repair simply to big, and not needed. If someone showed up on a jobsite with a vantage 400 but without a crane they would be kicked off before the vantage ever was started.[/QUOTE

It's a welding forum, if you rarely weld then maybe you should look for as "service truck" forum.
    Lot's of people are like you, but again, it's a welding forum and some of us weld a lot.

Still comparing a tralblazer lawn mower engine machine to a heavy duty machine is just goofy.

If you don't get 10,000 hrs out of a Vantage then you're doing something wrong. That might mean 100 years if you weld 10% of the time, lot's less for some of us.
    It's a welding forum. If you hardly weld why bother? There has to be a groovy service truck forum out there for you.

J

A "service truck" is just that.
    A "welding truck" is that. Simple really. But people who weld every now and then as a small part of their job, don't be telling full time welders what's the bestest and greatest. Because yours is not mine. I weld for a living, I don't repair equipment.
    Service truck dudes weld very little, and need a little welder. I weld all day, and I need what I need.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 05-07-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Default Heavy Equipmet Repair

I don't know ****e bout welding and I've been welding since I was 9. I like all of the experience on this forum. Sometimes a lil hesitant to ask a dumbass question but I've got to get the answer. There is a wealth of knowledge in here and I'm tryin to absorb it all. Thanks to the guys under the hood.