Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

JTMc, No offence taken about the Trail Blazer comment, My Foreman has a Trail Blazer on his truck and they are great welders and do a great job at laying down the wire, we might run his 40 hrs a week but that is not very common, We also do alot of work in our shop so his rig might only go on 2 jobs a week so I understand what Tryagn5 is saying.

I have a Pipe Pro 304 on my rig and it gets about 350 hrs a year on it.

Like tomorrow I'll be at the old Ford Plant that Inergy took over, I have to do some Tig stainless on a Helium filled test chamber so I'll be using my Maxstar 150 STL.

If I were just a portable welder without a shop than I could justify a bigger machine for his truck.

I have a friend of mine that is a 798 Pipe liner and he would get lauphed off the job if he brought a Trail blazer or a Ranger to the job, They are not designed to run 40-50 hrs a week year after year like the big machines.

The biggest thing that I hate about my Pipe Pro is that it screams when I get above 150 amps The new ones are 1800 rpm like the vantage.

It's wierd how the PipePro's idle up/down/up/down.
    But the ones I've welded line pipe with were reeeeal nice machines, I could sure live with one.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    What size crane? What kind of body? I have a 2002 maintainer body, the body weights 3900lbs, the crane 6000lb 3126 weighs in at 2200 lbs, loaded up im at 17800. Also a vantage 300 hardly puts out more amps then a 302 trailblazer.
    Kevin
    Custom bed, 3205 Autocrane. I don't recall comparing amps, I just would rather haul a Vantage than gas cans.Image002.jpg
    Jeff

Default ah now i see why so light!

[QUOTE=J hall;307397]Custom bed, 3205 Autocrane. I don't recall comparing amps, I just would rather haul a Vantage than

I will post a pic of my rig, but right now the bodies off and im prepping it to go on my f550. Whole reason for the switch to an f550 was for a heavier chassis, as this truck weighted 18k. Even my f550 with an 4000lb auto crane and light knapheide box is 16k! Also maybe i took it wrong but the orginal post was for heavy equipment repair, which is more then just welding. I started my business as welding only, and quickly found i would go broke if i only did welding, there is not enough work in welding alone to support my business. Also speaking from expirence i have never seen the small perkins or kubota ever make it past the 7,000 hr mark, unless they are run non stop ie in a reefer truck or water pump. They ware the bores out long before the time, normally they begin to consume oil around the 5 to 6k mark. Also the perkins is actually a shirbura diesel, open one up and the pistons even say it. With perfect maintance maybe, but it is a cheap diesel. Also i want to be clear that im not saying a tb302 is the same as a vantage 300. After using both i felt the vantage 300 did not seem to have much more amps than a tb302. Both were used for air arcing. Again i was not air arcing for 10hrs straight either, simply the vantage was a contractors welder and i wanted to try it.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    JTMc, No offence taken about the Trail Blazer comment, My Foreman has a Trail Blazer on his truck and they are great welders and do a great job at laying down the wire, we might run his 40 hrs a week but that is not very common, We also do alot of work in our shop so his rig might only go on 2 jobs a week so I understand what Tryagn5 is saying.

I have a Pipe Pro 304 on my rig and it gets about 350 hrs a year on it.

Like tomorrow I'll be at the old Ford Plant that Inergy took over, I have to do some Tig stainless on a Helium filled test chamber so I'll be using my Maxstar 150 STL.

If I were just a portable welder without a shop than I could justify a bigger machine for his truck.

I have a friend of mine that is a 798 Pipe liner and he would get lauphed off the job if he brought a Trail blazer or a Ranger to the job, They are not designed to run 40-50 hrs a week year after year like the big machines.

The biggest thing that I hate about my Pipe Pro is that it screams when I get above 150 amps The new ones are 1800 rpm like the vantage.

I'm not knocking the trailblazers, they serve well in their area. So do the small Lincolns. I've seen the lawn mower engine Lincolns abused beyond any reasonable use. But they wear out a lot faster than bigger machines.
    I understand that a lot of guys weld a little and do a lot of other stuff, and that weight matters on a service truck. Some of my best friends run service trucks.
    But I don't, I run pure-D welding trucks so a bigger ind engine with higher oil/fuel capacity and a big honkey air filter really matter to me. Our machines get some stupid hours when we're hooked up, a lot of weeks are balls to the wall 7 days a week @ 12-16hrs per. I don't work year round but the hours pile up fast when we are gettin it. And I can run a few tons of large 232 and 311Ni wire if needed to keep the kids fed.

Bottom line is buy the machine that meets your needs. Right now that's one Vantage 400 and two SA-200's for me. Too heavy for some mechanic guys but just right for me : ) Just don't think like some of these fan boys do that a 2 cylinder air cooled machine will outlive a 3 or 4 cyl water cooled diesel, regardless of it's top output.
    I own a 120V lincoln wire machine, don't use it much but when we have to fly in on a helicopter with all tools/material for small welding jobs it's my best choice. And it makes us money.

I could happily live with a PipePro in place of my Vantage. I can't say how much I've loved some PipePro's on big bore line pipe with large 8P+. But I love my Vantage just as much.

And I won't own a machine I have to fuel during the course of a long day. We don't use truck mounted booms so no weight problems here, we use fork trucks and cranes when needed.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

3yrs... full time on my own. That doesnt mean i have only been doing this for 3 yrs, and teenage bull****... no. I was just stating i have seen plenty of other businesses that have been around far longer and they dont have half the contracts or paid for equipment/shop that i have grown to in 3yrs. I have never been on the internet, and im sorry i got caught up on this bull****. I erased it cause it was crap, off subject, and didnt need others tapping into it. If yall wanna drag it along thats fine... i am out of this one. So leave my name out of your mouth unless you just like the taste.

[QUOTE=JTMcC:307367]weldinwelding continues on, he's seen it all, done it all, knows it all. He's an expert on robotic (got me there, I know nothing about robotic but I've done LARGE Komatsu boom repairs off of Komatsu prints that were big enough that we put a window air conditioner blowin into the boom and powered it off the light plant after we cut it apart, it was hot weather and a LOTof welding had to be done from the inside):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...277#post307277

he knows the bestest/smoothest welders ever made, after all he's coming up on three years on his own (never run an old DC generator I guess):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...175#post307175

And he knows all about 5p, what does that have to do with "heavy equipmet"? (shame on us for making xray pressure pipe welds with old 6010/7010/8010, if only he'd told me earlier : )):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...172#post307172

Oh, the humanity. He'll never go away, he's the bestest ever, ALMOST three years dude!
    5,773 views and counting.

John[/QU

You are very skilled at taking the time with my posts and making them say what their not meant to say.. kinda like a woman. Ive been welding far more than 3yrs. My kids been welding longer than that

WeldonWelding, Like I said before, I'm sure you have some skill based on what I have seen and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have in the future, You seem like an ambitiouse ( If I spelled that right ) young guy and its great to see that your doing the same thing I did at your age and I respect you for that.

We need more young guys like you.

In The future: You might want to select you comments a little more carefully.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder:307455
    WeldonWelding, Like I said before, I'm sure you have some skill based on what I have seen and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have in the future, You seem like an ambitiouse ( If I spelled that right ) young guy and its great to see that your doing the same thing I did at your age and I respect you for that.

We need more young guys like you.

In The future: You might want to select you comments a little more carefully.

Good Luck
    Thanks. I just see how people can take my comment that I've been on my own full time for 3yrs and make it out like I've been welding only 3yrs. I have been welding over 15yrs and I'm really not that young...Lol. and I say that an aead is one of the best/smoothest welders ever made. That's just my opinion, and from what I've heard... a lot of others too. This post just went the wrong way and seems a lot of others do too... nothing but a big pizzing contest. I'm on here to give advice just as well as get advice. No matter.. it doesn't bother me too much. Most of it is a pretty good laugh at break time or at the end of the day.. then its back to work. Clock is still ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    I will post a pic of my rig, but right now the bodies off and im prepping it to go on my f550. Whole reason for the switch to an f550 was for a heavier chassis, as this truck weighted 18k. Even my f550 with an 4000lb auto crane and light knapheide box is 16k! Also maybe i took it wrong but the orginal post was for heavy equipment repair, which is more then just welding. I started my business as welding only, and quickly found i would go broke if i only did welding, there is not enough work in welding alone to support my business. Also speaking from expirence i have never seen the small perkins or kubota ever make it past the 7,000 hr mark, unless they are run non stop ie in a reefer truck or water pump. They ware the bores out long before the time, normally they begin to consume oil around the 5 to 6k mark. Also the perkins is actually a shirbura diesel, open one up and the pistons even say it. With perfect maintance maybe, but it is a cheap diesel. Also i want to be clear that im not saying a tb302 is the same as a vantage 300. After using both i felt the vantage 300 did not seem to have much more amps than a tb302. Both were used for air arcing. Again i was not air arcing for 10hrs straight either, simply the vantage was a contractors welder and i wanted to try it.
    Kevin
    Part of the reason I did the 3500 crane was because it was half the weight.
    What you saved in welding machine weight, I saved in crane weight.
    Maintainer bodies are good, but heavy and expensive. two reasons why I built my own.
    I want a good machine, air comp, and lots of tools and some parts, all in a small package.
    I used to run a 400amp+ machine and no crane, but my needs changed, so I adapted. Then I went to a Ranger305, but couldn't tolerate the noise, carb icing, and general cold bloodedness. The little Kubota is way better in cool/cold weather.
    I carry wrenches and sockets up to 2", porta power rams to 50 tons, and a load of other junk.

Post up a picture when you are back together.
    Jeff