Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default you got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    J. Hall, I've been told by some of my older buddies that the old 55s were the best or only wire machines back in the day.

However, I diddn't mention that because I thought it was alot of money for that old of a machine and I personally have never run one so I dont know how good they really are compared to the new machines.

Tryagn5, I'm guessing you have a crane and compressor for the weight you mentioned because thats exactly what my 550 weighs plus or minus a few hundred.
    My truck is a 2002 f550, im currently removing the box on the 1997 and putting it on the 2002. My srv box is a maintainer box, 6000lb crane, hyd compressor, gas compressor, welder tools etc. Simply put these trucks get heavy fast. I forgot to mention that i would not make it on welding alone, i dontmknow what kind of welding he plans on doing, but i see no reason to run a welder any bigger than a tb325. I do some large repairs in the quarry and the tb275 is plenty of welder. Any larger of a welder would require a stepmup to 650/750 chassis. Since he asking about welders i doubt hencan afford that.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

I can
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 04-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.

The Peoples Republic of Southern California

Still running my TB 302 AirPak I do a lot of 6010/7018 welding up cracks
    But have my 12RC running FC most NR232.. Never have run mig in the field though i have the capability running a Q300 gun and for duel shield

Most times it's just crack repairs and i gouge it out with the plasma cutter and 6010 the root then 7018 fill/ cap depending on how thick the base metal is

Most people don't like the airpak but i have limited room working out of my pick up trucks so i paid the extra money for the compressor which outputs more air than 2 piston gas driven portables that i have ever run across

So i can run air tools of any kind and the generator is 11 kw output independent of the welder
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
    OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
    Jackson EQC master (old)
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Spectrum 625 Extreme
    Suitcase 12RC
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Victor O/A
    Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
    Half a ton of tooling
    Rusty old truck

Weldonwelding, I have to respectfully disagree, There are times I feel that mig out shines a stick and heavy equipment is one of them.

Hey, We all have our methods, I just know that I have out ran a couple of guys that were using a stick when we were repairing a stone box.

He was running 3/16" 7018, At the end of the day I used up 2 spools a wire and his 50lb. tin still had some left.

You can
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 04-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Ljydljtd
    Last edited by weldonwelding; 04-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.

The Peoples Republic of Southern California

My airpak was not that much money new but that was a few years ago

Il like plasma gouge much better it doesn't spit molten metal all over like cac does its more of a scalpel to cac chain saw ...But i know guys who are real good with cac far better than me

There are lots of videos on plasma gouging on youtube from miller and others
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
    OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
    Jackson EQC master (old)
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Spectrum 625 Extreme
    Suitcase 12RC
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Victor O/A
    Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
    Half a ton of tooling
    Rusty old truck

Kill Dozer, I have to disagree, I can do a very precise job with my air arc, you just need to know how to have it angled.

Keep in mind I have never gouged with my Plazma, But thats because my air arc works so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Kill Dozer, I have to disagree, I can do a very precise job with my air arc, you just need to know how to have it angled.

Keep in mind I have never gouged with my Plazma, But thats because my air arc works so good.
    i would have to agree. i have a new (2009) big blue airpak that will eat 3/8" carbons and have gotten pretty good at steering it around. i also plasma gouge but feel its alot slower, good for small stuff. only have hypertherm 1000 though.

Default Heavy Equipmet Repair

I agree with cayager. Plasma gouging is good for light stuff but when your gouging out 1 inch material to chase a crack an air arc works a lot better. If your going to run 3/8 carbons you better have more juice than a 302 trailblazer. I run mine with a big blue 600d and 4/0 leads.